Finger prints behind the screen

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by KilljoyPBN, Oct 26, 2008.

1. KilljoyPBN macrumors regular

Ok does anyone else have finger prints or smudges behind the glass on your screen?

I was working in sunlight today and I noticed I have a finger print smudge on my screen behind the glass where I can't get to.

I couldnt find it on their support website either so I picked the closest one and explained the situation.

Has anyone dealt with this before? Will they send me a new one or insist on repairing it? I really need this computer for school and I expected a perfect computer for the price of $3,000.

2. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

you can probably take it in and exchange it...how long ago did you get it..

3. KilljoyPBN thread starter macrumors regular

Well problem is is that it is a BTO

15.4" Macbook Pro
    2.8 Ghz processor
    320 gb @ 7200 rpm

I don't think they have these in store waiting to be exchanged. :(

It was just delivered Friday morning so this is my third day of ownership.:eek:

4. applefan1997 macrumors 6502

They may replace it because it apparently is from production, not something you may have done.

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I did. MB 2.4 though. I opened it up in the car and it was there. I do not inspect my machines like many seem to do so the fact that I noticed it meant it had to have been fairly evident.

6. KilljoyPBN thread starter macrumors regular

I just re-read their policies on refund and exchange.

I guess since I decided to get the 2.8 processor and the higher speed hard drive I can't exchange it. The only way they will allow an exchange is if the computer was DOA. I don't know if they would consider a manufacturing defect DOA or not but I really don't see why I should be punished for their poor assembly of the product.

I understand that they are trying protect their margins but if I pay this much money for a product, as a consumer in this marketplace, I demand quality and perfection. If this is the quality I can expect then I can't justify the price.

So because I chose the best options on their product and because some assembly worker and quality control inspector wasn't doing their job I am forced to send off my only computer to some place for an untold amount of time. Im sorry but I don't think I can afford to not have a computer for more than a few days. As of right now I have two papers to write and I suppose tomorrow I have to drive an hour and a half to the apple store.

Lets see what happens tomorrow I guess. I really hope customers are valued in their eyes because their quality control is not reflecting that.

7. applefan1997 macrumors 6502

They may fix the screen if replacing isn't possible. It might take a while for it tho.

8. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

With all the talk about dust and smudges behind the glass I am shocked at Apple does not have the screens assembled in a clean room. A class 10 clean room with 3ppm would eliminate all these issues.

9. applefan1997 macrumors 6502

Maybe it is clean, but the workers fingers probably have oils that touch the display.

10. CoolMacDude macrumors regular

Call them and tell them you are unhappy with it and you want to do an advanced replacement. My top row of keys was crooked. They are sending me a new BTO the exact same as you have. They gave me a week from the time I receive the new one to send the old one back so I can swap hd and etc. You'll have to ask for a manager and the first might tell you no. Just tell them you know someone that is having an advance replacement and you don't think its fair if you have to send yours in first when other people are not. If you need more info send me a pm. I am not frequenting the boards as much since the release of the new MBP because of all the retarded threads that have been floating around but if you need anything I can send you some more info via private message or e-mail.

11. KilljoyPBN thread starter macrumors regular

I was thinking of exactly that because I saw you're thread about your keys being crooked when you first posted and was hoping the customer service representative would be willing to do so.

If you could I would very grateful. If you would be so kind to send info to KilljoyPBN@gmail.com

12. KilljoyPBN thread starter macrumors regular

Well I got an exchange going but didn't get the advanced replacement. They were being a bit tough about it and I am just tired of dealing with all the tape so I decided to let them win on that part.

Although I have a new question...

When I ordered mine BTO I also go Final Cut Express, an Apple Remote and a Mini display port to DVI adapter. Do I need to include these when I pack to ship the old MBP out? If I don't how will the serial number on Final Cut work?

Will the one they send come with FCE, the remote and the display adapter?

13. apolloa macrumors G3

apolloa

Well I just got my MB Pro, lovely big finger print and a dirty swipe across the back of the glass, you would have to be blind to miss it. I would WARN everyone NOT to buy ANY Apple laptop at the moment as in my opinion they have NO quality control at all, seriously the mark is so bloody noticeable.

14. joystik macrumors member

wow... horrible...

15. iMetalG5 macrumors 6502a

u know, i am anal about my iPhone as the tiny scratches bother me but my brand new MBP does have a smudge of some sort behind the glass. Nothing major at all. Not a fingerprint but its a smear of somesort. Its hard to see and I can't get my cam to take a good pic. If i point a flashlight to it i can totally see it.

I also found a few specs of dust behind the glass already. So no idea if its from the factory or me.

I'm tempted to just take it back for an exchange!

16. apolloa macrumors G3

apolloa

I called Apple support and they didn't hold back too much, advised they will arrange a courier to pick up my MB Pro, once Apple have got it and verified the defect they will send me a new computer. So I'm happy with that, I've got my older MB Pro to use until then. Shame really as the rest of the laptop is fine, I like it too.

17. jpcho83 macrumors newbie

For those of you who were lucky enough to get a leak free, dead/stuck pixel free computer like I did, but have dust or fingerprints or smudges, take a peek at this... there is hope for us yet!

word of caution, unless you have a clean room yourself, good luck on getting it back together with NO dust ... lols...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WwhhjUgbtM
    Check out 1:03, 1:04

Whew! gutsy, but looks like it's not that bad... who knows... apparently it was put back together fine...