Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GuywithMacs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 22, 2014
I maybe paranoid, but this is a genuine concern (Some of you might be wondering the same thing). I've used my fingerprint for the Touch ID, Now I'm about to upgrade my 5S and buy a 6, how safe is it just by doing Settings -> erase all content and settings?

Apple says that is enough to scramble data before selling it.
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201351

Im just paranoid that someone can extract the fingerprint and use it in malicious ways.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
Don't worry, the TouchID data are just a bunch of data points and do not resemble your actual fingerprint. They cannot be reverse-engineered to reveal your print even if you don't delete it.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
Don't worry, the TouchID data are just a bunch of data points and do not resemble your actual fingerprint. They cannot be reverse-engineered to reveal your print even if you don't delete it.

I bet they can. Nothing is safe if the right (wrong) person gets involved IMO.

Woochifer

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2007
The most important thing is to sign out of your Apple ID before you deactivate the phone.

You can also go a step further by setting up the phone as a new device and removing the SIM card before selling it. This will wipe everything off the phone, including anything associated with your Apple ID and mobile account. And it will reinstall iOS as well.

As JayLenochiniMac posted, the fingerprint scans are not stored anywhere on the device. The stored data points cannot be used to reconstruct the fingerprints. Apple's security white paper goes into detail about how iOS is secured in general, and has full data encryption enabled by default.

https://www.apple.com/br/privacy/docs/iOS_Security_Guide_Oct_2014.pdf

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.