Fingerprint ID

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bella2v, Apr 27, 2016.

1. bella2v macrumors newbie

As nice as a fingerprint ID is, what happens when your fingerprint doesn't register well? I guess because of age and a life time of work, my fingerprint does not register even on my Federal ID. How does this affect the log in ID on the iPhone?

2. Channan macrumors 68030

Channan

When the 5s first came out, people were using their nipples to register a print. So it doesn't really matter what your fingerprint looks like. As long as it hasn't changed since you registered it, it'll work. If you slice your finger or it somehow gets deformed, delete your old saved print and register a new one.

3. canuckRus macrumors 6502

canuckRus

You always have 14 days for a test drive to see if it works for you or not. Fingerprint ID on 6S is fantastic and close to instantaneous.

4. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

My mother (82), also has no fingerprints. She just uses the passcode, same as always.

Personally, I think you (@bella2v) and my mother should get together and go into some kind of criminal business. ;)

5. geoff5093 macrumors 68000

geoff5093

Register multiple fingers, so if something happens to one finger or hand you can use the other.

6. bella2v thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. A local computer guru explained that it is an option not a given.
    --- Post Merged, May 1, 2016 ---
    The Federal Govt tried that with me for security clearance -- none of them registered. Sometimes, if I use a skin lotion first and rub it in well it will work.

7. kdarling, May 1, 2016
    Last edited: May 1, 2016

kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Ah. You must've had to do this:

fingerprint-delete.png

:D

PS. Actually, not recommended, as erased fingerprints are often even more quickly identifiable.

8. electronicsguy macrumors 6502a

electronicsguy

What option? It's Apple's policy that free returns within that time period. The local "guru" may be telling you the personal policy of some local shop.