Fingerprint Reader In New Macbook Pros?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by amitdoc2b, Feb 25, 2008.

1. amitdoc2b macrumors 6502a

Hi!

I'm looking to buy my first macbook pro. I read these forums a lot but its my first time posting since I finally registered today. I wanted to know why last years models didn't have fingerprint readers, and if you think they will add it in this years models in addition to the new keypad, led screen, and penryn processor? I notice that all other major brands include fingerprint readers - including hp, toshiba, dell, and now sony. It would be a nice addition to have and I hope they add it since Apple's design for their laptop is currently my favorite. Let me know what you think or know.. ?

Thanks!

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

The biggest reason for not having a fingerprint reader.... THEY DON'T WORK!!! They are very easy to hack and often cause users to choose simpler passwords, plus OS X actually asks for the password much more often than Windows. If Apple Wanted to do something cool, they would have a special mode for the iSight that either did facial recognition or retinal scanning.

TEG

3. dsnort macrumors 68000

dsnort

What TEG said. My boss has a Thinkpad with a fingerprint scanner, has been nothing but trouble. In the year he's had the comp, it's been in twice to get the scanner fixed, is currently not working again.

4. ChrisN macrumors 65816

ChrisN

I agree with TEG they just don't work... or not for long. TEG I think that would be a great idea to use the isight cam as a layer of security.

ChrisN

5. tip macrumors 6502

tip

Retinal scanning via iSight will never happen on a MBP.

Back to the fingerprint reader, it's really effective when paired with another form of authentication (e.g., password). I wouldn't trust biometrics as single-factor authentication, personally. It's also effective when you have software that utilizes it (which aren't as abundant for OSX). The reader would be nice to have; however, I don't think it's a necessity at this time.

6. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

At my company, they give most employees Thinkpads for company use. Often anyone can just rotate their finger on the pad to bypass the read. Not to mention that most don't last a year. My manager has actually ripped it out of the laptop and replaced it with a USB port.

TEG