Fingerprint scanner: gimmick or god send?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jcorbin, Jan 10, 2014.

1. jcorbin macrumors 6502a

I never used security on my phones. Not on my droids or my previous iPhones. However, I started using the touch ID system the day I got my 5s and love it. The only thing that annoys me is I haven't gotten used to scanning my finger or putting in the code to access notifications directly from the lockscreen. But that is a minor annoyance. I did turn off touch ID for a short time because I was having a rapid fire text conversation and it was really annoying to have to scan my finger every time. I forgot to turn it back on and it was even more annoying when pressing the home button didn't unlock my phone.

So who else uses the fingerprint scanner?

2. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

i think it is a lot easier than even swiping to unlock, usually you press the home button to wake the phone anyways. you just keep your finger there for a split second more and boom, you're in.

3. Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

I'm a bit mixed. I'm more happy about not having to type in my password when I buy things, and I like that it works with in app purchases. It doesn't take that long to put in a 4 digit pin to unlock the device, but it is super cool. I was using my ipod touch today and, held my thumb on the home button for a few seconds wondering why it wouldn't unlock :D

4. eclipse01 macrumors 68020

eclipse01

I wish I had it for making purchases on Itunes/App store

5. aajeevlin macrumors 6502a

So what you are really saying is that you don't like the layer of security, or rather the inconvenience of having it. As you have already stated that you've never use any sort of security on your previous devices.

In that case, I don't see how your title is fitting at all, by calling it a gimmick. Given that a password or a pattern password is equally inconvenient. I don't think fingerprint is a gimmick at all. When it comes to security I'll take inconvenience over having my data stolen

6. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I had never used any kind of password on my devices before, but recently I started using my phone for work email and a password is required.

If I didn't have TouchID, typing in a password to use my iPhone would drive me nuts. With TouchID, I'm usually able to unlock my phone before the screen is even visible. It's pretty great.

7. Harmonious Zen macrumors 6502a

I wouldn't call it a god send, but definitely not a gimmick either. It makes unlocking my phone so much faster and quicker. Not to mention no one around me can see my unlock code now, as they could before when I had to enter it manually. I just wish they would've incorporated Touch ID into the iPad.

8. SAIRUS macrumors 6502a

I call it a lazy Jesus. Has all this potential but doesn't do anything much.

9. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Yes, I find myself trying to fp-unlock my wife's iPhone 5s to no avail (she has it turned off). It's nice having it unlocked by the time I take it out of my pocket.

I never used passcode on all my prior iPhones including the original.

10. Brian Y macrumors 68040

It's something that you don't notice after a while, which, in my opinion, is the best kind of feature.

It just becomes a natural thing.

11. oVerboost macrumors 6502a

It's early days, but so far so good IMO. It does what it's supposed to, provide a higher level of security for your phone. As others have mentioned, I too would like it to be used for more things in the future, for secure app logins etc, if they could all be stored onto the fingerprint system so you can log into your banking app with your fingerprint based on the login details you typed when it was setup. Just an example obviously, I know banks have to be 100% secure.

12. Eddie Bombay macrumors 6502

God send, especially with the jailbreak tweak where I can use my fingerprint for all other websites.

13. I7guy macrumors G5

It's a very worthwhile time saving feature. I have to hand it to apple for that. I have the phone upside down in my pocket and press the home button while taking it out of my pocket. 90% of the time, it get's unlocked.

14. Mrbobb macrumors 601

I am still waiting for that electromagnetic sensor that reads each person unique personal field so there is no need to wait for the 2 seconds to scan a dirty finger. U pick it up with your hand, even gloved and BAM! It knows who you are.

15. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

First, anyone who doesn't use the lock on an iDevice is a darn fool. It encrypts the file system and keeps your digital information very safe.

As you indicated, the fingerprint authentication removes a barrier for using the phone's security features. It's very convenient, works one-handed and without looking, and it works very well. It's definitely not a gimmick.

Some folks don't entirely trust the technology quite yet, and for them I say "So use the passcode and pretend it's 2009. But use something."

For those of us who are comfortable with fingerprint authentication, it's a pretty wonderful feature.

16. Retired Cat macrumors 65816

People I know with the 5S almost all like the fingerprint sensor. The convenience of a quick unlock is a huge factor.

17. SomeGuyDude macrumors 6502a

SomeGuyDude

Between the quick unlock and being able to buy apps with the thumbprint is perfect.

18. the caveman macrumors 6502

Definately a godsend. That was one of the features that made me upgrade to 5s

19. Mechinyun macrumors 6502

It is neither of those options.. but something inbetween.

20. bushman4 macrumors 68000

Great feature. Useful and reliable. It works 95% of the time

21. Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

I think it's good for those who didn't use passwords. I never used to use a password. My dad kept telling me to use one but I wouldn't because I didn't want the hassle of it. Then my iPhone 4 got stolen and I was so angry that I didn't have a lock because the thief had access to a lot of personal/financial information. Thankfully none of it was ever used to my knowledge. I guess they just wanted the phone. Ever since then I have used a password on all my devices. I think the scanner would have encouraged people like me to secure their phone.

22. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

I don't use a Touch ID. I think it is gimmick because Apple is out of creative ideas for next iPhone. :apple:

23. I7guy macrumors G5

If you have a 5s, it costs you nothing to set up other than a few swipes of your time. You can still use the old swipe to unlock but leave it activated. The only reason not to setup would be LE concerns.

If you don't have a 5s I understand why you think it's a gimmick.

24. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

I do have a 3 months old iPhone 5s. :apple:

25. I7guy macrumors G5

Come to an iPhone I thought the scanner was the biggest gimmick in the world even before I had the iPhone in hand.

I gave it a chance and could not believe it works fairly reliably, not 100%, such that if I take the wasted time it failed vs the time it succeeded on the first or second attempt, I'm way ahead of the game in time saved.

If your phone doesn't have a password then fp scanner not needed and you get what you deserve if phone is lost/stolen.

If you still think it's a gimmick without trying it, don't know what your missing. If you gave it a shot and still think it's a gimmick you are clearly in the minority but def entitled to your opinion.