Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gabo864

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 13, 2012
Hello everyone,

Any of you having issues with the fingerprint sensor? I had issues with my iPhone 6s, it started clicking and then it wouldn't read my fingerprint, I would have to clean the home button and also my finger every time for it to work. I got a replacement from Apple and after a couple months it started doing the same thing. :(

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
In what way does it click? As in the general home button itself?

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY
I don't think the fingerprint sensor can make a noise. Sure you're not pressing it too hard??

gabo864

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 13, 2012
I don't even pess it all the way. I just put my finger on the home button and it makes a clicking sound, again I'm not pressing at all, I'm just trying to unlock my phone by resting my finger on the home buttons. I'll try to make a video when I get home and show y'all.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Do you typically eat near the phone? My girlfriend has a nasty habit of doing that. Always getting micro crumbs on the button and they get lodged underneath the button and it creates a 'crunchy' home button.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Do you typically eat near the phone? My girlfriend has a nasty habit of doing that. Always getting micro crumbs on the button and they get lodged underneath the button and it creates a 'crunchy' home button.
A habit that many people have as it's one almost natural thing to do when eating on your own (kind of like reading a newspaper or even a book has been and still sometimes is).

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
A habit that many people have as it's one almost natural thing to do when eating on your own (kind of like reading a newspaper or even a book has been and still sometimes is).

Very, very true. No different than watching TV while eating. I guess it just stems to being careful. If I am on my phone while eating, I don't keep it right next to my body. I usually extend my arm out a little and use it one handed away from my eating hand.

Reactions: C DM

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I don't intend to sound argumentative but I find it hard to believe crumbs are getting under the home button. If this was the case it would be so with lint and such and, having taken a few phones apart, there really isn't much under the home buttons when opened.

Regardless it's odd the button has started to fail for you twice now. I don't keep my phone particularly clean all the time. In fact my sin often watches shows in the back seat while eating snacks and the whole front is nastier than a phone should ever be lol. If you take it in you can ask if stuff is getting in under the button. I really don't think much of anything should be able to make its way in there. Speaker grills and lightning ports are another story.

CYKBC

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2014
Apple build quality. It happens on some units fresh out of box. Front camera crescent. Clicking front screen. Dust under camera lens. They're far from perfect.

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
I have clicking noise on my ipad air 2 finger print sensor. It's extremely annoying.
The iphone finger print sensor can be replaced. The ipad air (2) the entire unit has to be replaced.

gabo864

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 13, 2012
I do not use my phone while I'm eating. I baby my phone too much so thats a no no. Im contacting Applecare today about this issue. Im so mad thought cuz this would be my second replacement.

Reactions: lordofthereef

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Definitely annoying but this seems like a fluke to have happened twice. Either that or you're much more sensitive to the sound the button makes than some others. I don't mean that in a derogatory way, I just mean maybe it bothers you and it doesn't bother others. My button certain isn't silent.

Last edited:

gabo864

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 13, 2012
Definitely annoying but this seems like a fluke to have happened twice. Either that or you're much more sensitive to the sound the button makes than some others. I don't mean that in a derogatory way, I just mean maybe it bothers you and it doesn't bother others. My button certain isn't silent.

The thing is I'm not pressing the button. I know it makes a sound when pressing like when trying to go to the home screen or double pressing to close apps that are open, but Im just resting my finger on it to unlock it with my fingerprint and it makes a crunchy sound, as if something was loose.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
The thing is I'm not pressing the button. I know it makes a sound when pressing like when trying to go to the home screen or double pressing to close apps that are open, but Im just resting my finger on it to unlock it with my fingerprint and it makes a crunchy sound, as if something was loose.
Well, I can say with absolute certainty that this isn't something I've experienced. Not that this should make you feel better. Certainly an odd issue. Best of luck with your second replacement.

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
My wife's 6S Plus started doing this too but rubbing isopropyl alcohol around the home button with a q-tip actually fixed the issue my wife has and no longer makes this crunching sound. Of course will keep an eye on it for a bit.

iObama

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2008
Hey man /

Same thing happened to me on one of my THREE 6s' I had before I got my current one. Apple replaced it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.