Fingerprints on Black iPad Air 2

Discussion in 'iPad' started by valinda, Aug 7, 2015.

1. valinda macrumors 6502

valinda

This is the first space grey product I have purchased from Apple. My other iPad and iPhone are silver. I
    know they both get fingerprints, but the space grey seems worse to me, even the black bezel shows
    fingerprints. Does anyone use a screen protecter that helps with the fingerprints. I've changed my mind
    about getting a space grey iPhone this fall. Going with silver or gold.

2. Mackinjosh macrumors 6502a

The iPad Air 2 has a special anti-glare coating on it that makes fingerprints a nightmare to remove on all the colors, not just black. My fear is they'll add this coating to the upcoming new mini, which would make that device an instant no-buy for me. All previous devices I could simply wipe them down gently and they'd be free of smudges and fingerprints. Not so with the iPad 2. Cleaning it removes some of the smudges, but there's always a layer of them remaining which really shows up badly when scrolling any page that has a white background.

3. PortableLover macrumors 6502a

I personally use a glass protector with oleophobic coating. I always use a screen protector on all the ipads in the house. So don't really suffer with this issue.

4. valinda thread starter macrumors 6502

valinda

Oh, I didn't know about the anti-glare coating. I'm going to check out glass protector with the oleophobic coating only
    for this device. The other's are in protective holders. Thank you.

5. stubbornapple macrumors member

I had a space gray mini and didn't have as many fingerprints as my current space gray air 2. I'm thinking it has to do with the anti-glare coating

6. Hal~9000 macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

Microfiber cloths are inexpensive on Amazon... use them.

7. rgarjr, Aug 7, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2015

rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Yep, not only does it get smudged with fingerprints more but it's harder to remove the smudges on It. On the rMini 3 they come right off very easy with a wipe.

8. daydotz macrumors member

9. Mackinjosh macrumors 6502a

Does absolutely nothing on the Air 2.

10. jb1280 macrumors 6502a

Absolutely no problem using a microfiber on mine.

11. sparksd macrumors 6502a

Agreed. I have several from different makers and they work great on my Air 2, not leaving a residual "greasy" coating.

12. maxsix Suspended

maxsix

I always have a microfiber cloth in with my MBP or MBA. It's a great way to keep my screens clean and smooth.

Yet I must admit that in my case every finger print I leave, makes both my iPhone and iPad faster... :D

13. bushido Suspended

bushido

i use a stylus whenever i can now cuz those smuges on the ipad air 2 drive me insane especially when i try to surf the web with lots of white backgrounds and as some others have already said those smudges r near impossible to get rod of and come right back anyway. my old ipad 3 doesnt have this "problem" so its def that stupid anti glare coating

14. photocat2005 macrumors newbie

Then you are not using the right microfiber cloth. Splurge a bit and get this one -- I use it on everything - works like a charm on the Air 2. Quality and longevity can't be beat (have had it for several years now)

Microdear Microfiber Deluxe Cleaning Cloth, Large, 14.5" x 17.75"

15. 960design macrumors 68000

Yep, microfiber cloth. I dislike all the aftermarket screen protectors. They quickly get scratched up and make the iPad look like crap. It is also much harder to remove fingerprints from the screen protectors.

I maintain over 4500 iPads, large microfiber cloths are the way to go.

16. Royksöpp macrumors 6502

Royksöpp