finially getting a new mac..

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Eric Lewis, Aug 13, 2007.

1. Eric Lewis macrumors 68020

Eric Lewis

i have 5 windows crap machines

and 1 amazing eMac 1ghz 512mb ram 60gig machine that works amazing for its weak specs....

now i can finially upgrade my mac and get a new mac...the store(like a privatly based) is offering a trade in value of 600 dollars for the emac(wow i was so shocked) and i am getting a baseline iMac(and we are getting rid of the one windows)

i have some questions

for email: i use outlook express..how would i transfer contacts,settings,emails etc?

photos: i have 6,000 in my pictures and each album in a different folder? how would i import them?

music/movies from itunes...(i have on a 80gig external drive backed up) so how would i transfer these over and put them into itunes?

can the webcam be used with any msn program with a windows user? what programs work?

do any dvdr burn on the imac> or just apple ones?

2. Nick12945 macrumors regular

I'm pretty sure in the Apple Store you can get a free data and settings transfer from old mac to new.

webcam works just like any webcam so yes.

any dvd-r would work

3. soosy macrumors regular

I think Apple's Mail program imports outlook express through File->Import Mailboxes

Photos: You could drop each album into iPhoto to keep the semi organized that way... or you can just drop the main picture folder and organize them into events later.

iTunes: Just drop the main music folder onto iTunes. No problem.

Webcam definitely works with iChat which is AOL's chat. You can download Microsoft Messenger from microsoft.com/mac. Not sure if it supports video.

yep any dvdr