finicky magnetic power cord

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Acorn, Aug 6, 2011.

1. Acorn macrumors 68020

Acorn

I was wondering if there was anything i could do about a finicky power cord. sometimes it takes me four tries on the magnetic piece to get it to charge. sometimes the green light comes on but its really faded othertimes it shows green then goes out 15 seconds later instead of charging.

I kinda have to play with it to work so i was hoping someone might know if there is a fix or if maybe something is wrong with my macbook pro. its a 2010 model.

2. Alaerian, Aug 6, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2011

Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

Sounds like the connection on the cable, MBP, or both need a good cleaning.

3. Acorn thread starter macrumors 68020

Acorn

it looks clean.... the only thing i noticed is if i look at the power cord magnetic piece the third pin is really small compared to all the others. i dont know if this is by design or if something broke

4. Wafflausages macrumors 6502

happens to me sometimes, though it isnt as bad as yours sometimes i put the cord on and it doesnt light up (im assuming it does) i only notice when my macbook dies. then i just have to move the magnetic part a bit and the light pops up

5. tekkietekkie macrumors member

its normal mine is like that also

6. Mac-key macrumors 6502a

mine did that as well... it got really bad, to the point where I'd be using my computer with it plugged in and my machine would be running off battery power. I had to hold it just right to get it to charge/connect.

So I took it to the Apple store and they replaced it free of charge.

btw I have applecare

7. Minhthien macrumors 6502

Mine did this on a brand new MBP and called apple care they sent me a new one but its a refurbish! The refurbish is good but got a few scratch on them :(

8. Acorn thread starter macrumors 68020

Acorn

ok i will try a new plug if its not that expensive. it didnt use to do that i dont know why it started. It aggravates me enough to be worth a try