Finicky memory needs for the Mac

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cyclingsessions, May 6, 2011.

1. cyclingsessions macrumors newbie

Can someone tell me why the Mac is so finicky about what kind of memory you upgrade with?

I have been ok with Corsair 8gb upgrade memory, which many on this forum had suggested, for a while but noticed lately that I am getting the dreaded restart box lockup when I am trying to back up with time machine a ways into the process.

I put the OEM 4gb back in and it is working ok.

Can someone explain to me why it passes 30 minutes of memory testing on Techtools Pro software but freezes once in while on handbrake video encoding and always on the backup???:mad:

Thanks

2. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

Bad RAM. I've had it happen with numerous computers, which is why I paid more for the 8 GB of RAM from Apple, given they can test it prior to shipping. My memory from Apple is Samsung, which I have used a lot without issue. I don't know much about Corsair's memory, so I cannot say anything regarding their product, but I have always used Crucial with good results, and it is a favorite here.

3. getz76 macrumors 6502a

getz76

Software-based memory tests are unreliable. The system is testing while running on the same memory controller and modules. Proper tests require dedicated hardware like THIS.

4. cyclingsessions thread starter macrumors newbie

That's for the advice! I may try Crucial or OWC which looks like they guarantee Apple compatibility. I guess the Corsair's should work fine in a standard laptop.

5. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

I'de call Corsair first and see what they think. Perhaps it is bad RAM and they will replace it. If you decide to get OWC or Crucial and are not in a hurry, wait a little while and monitor the price as they go on sale. You can get some memory, like G Skill, for around $60, which most members here seem to love.

6. jimbo1mcm macrumors 68000

Newegg?

Can't remember where i got it, but I think it was Newegg, but I put 2 4gb Patriot Ram in and it seems to be working fine.

7. ELA2 macrumors member

Thats why I bought 8GB memory and 256GB SSD from Apple in my new MBP. Compatibility and the fact that if ANYTHING goes wrong with it I don't have to futz with it.

8. DustinT macrumors 68000

DustinT

So, you are using the Patriot 8g upgrade kit successfully on your MBP? Thats good news. I have tried today to use it and I'm having issues that I'm trying to track down.