Finished install of Dual Drive with SSD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by olivertwist2004, Jun 21, 2013.

1. olivertwist2004 macrumors newbie

After finishing up the install, I'm left with a stubborn file in the Trash that I haven't been able to delete!! But first some background:

Thanks to all the information available on this forum I was able to breathe a little more life into my older MacBook Pro. The optical drive has been inoperable for quite some time now, and my hard drive almost full.

I realize that it is somewhat disputed whether it is worth putting an SSD drive into a machine that only supports SATA I, but I've certainly noticed an improvement in boot time and application launch so far. Here's what was installed:
    -240GB OWC Mercury Electra 3G SSD (Optical Bay)
    -1.0TB Hitachi Travelstar 7200RPM SATA 2 (Main Bay)
    -I used a 2nd HDD Caddy from ebay

I made a clone of my original HDD with CCC onto the new 1TB HDD. Then I proceeded to install both new drives, used the Recovery partition to download and install OSX 10.8 onto the SSD drive.

I used OWC's guide to separate the system files and the user file, and then point the user to the new Home Directory location.

After deleting any duplicate files, I noticed that I had run into a problem. In my Trash, there remains a folder called Applications (I believe this is the directory from the HDD, as Applications now reside on the SSD), and it contains a locked App file (CrashPlan) that has Zero bytes. I CANNOT figure out how to delete it!

Using the regular Empty Trash command, it returns "The operation can’t be completed because the item “CrashPlan” is in use." - It's not. I've killed all process in Activity Monitor, Stopped it in Terminal, and uninstalled it now completely.

Using Secure Empty Trash, the error reads "The operation can’t be completed because you don’t have permission to access some of the items." Cmd+I shows that the file is Locked (it is not grayed out, yet it cannot be unselected. Well.. it can, for a brief second, and then the check mark instantly reappears.)

So I tried going through Terminal using:
    sudo rm -rf ~/.Trash

Only to receive the following error:
    rm: /Volumes/Mac HD/Users/Oliver/.Trash/Applications/CrashPlan.app/Contents: Operation not permitted
    rm: /Volumes/Mac HD/Users/Oliver/.Trash/Applications/CrashPlan.app: Operation not permitted
    rm: /Volumes/Mac HD/Users/Oliver/.Trash/Applications: Directory not empty
    rm: /Volumes/Mac HD/Users/Oliver/.Trash: Directory not empty

I'm at my wits end. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can get this file deleted? (btw, I cannot move it out of the trash either - only copy it elsewhere)

Attached Files:

• MBP.JPG
      MBP.JPG
      File size:
      1.9 MB
      Views:
  2. niteflyr macrumors 6502a

Try holding the option button when you click "empty Trash".