Finished installing SSD and Optibay, however

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by shenfrey, Dec 22, 2012.

1. shenfrey, Dec 22, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 22, 2012

shenfrey macrumors 68000

[​IMG]The back of the Macbook Pro, its lid, is not flush. The HDD was thicker then the superdrive and so the right side of the lid does not sit all the way down. I am not sure to leave it or just put the SD back in?

What would you do guys? The good news is it all works, but just don't think I like the lid not sitting down all the way.

EDIT: Also, on the plus side my MBP is crazy faster! :D

2. shenfrey thread starter macrumors 68000

Decided to take the optibay out and just plug the drive back in. Can't do it today, but will do it tomorrow.

But yeah, I suppose that was my mistake.

3. mslide macrumors 6502a

Put the SSD where the original HD is and move the original HD to the optibay? Does that make a difference? Not sure if that's what you did or not.

4. Azzin macrumors 68040

Sounds like the OP's caddy is bigger (deeper) than the optical drive and the HDD is sitting proud.

5. shenfrey thread starter macrumors 68000

Exactly it, see picture above. I will be taking it out tomorrow and just keeping the SSD in.

6. jamezr macrumors G3

jamezr

I think you just got the wrong caddy. I know lots of people that have done this without having the problem you are. Where did you get the caddy?

7. shenfrey thread starter macrumors 68000

8. el-John-o macrumors 65816

Are you absolutely positive you installed it right? Do you have a 'normal sized' SSD? (Some of the larger capacity SSD's are extra thick).

I have two SSD's, one in an optibay, just fine. I'm running them RAID 0 (with at least daily backups, LOL), talk about fast! :p

I used the OptiBay from OWC, and it seems to me like it could have been installed upside down and produce the same results you got (though I don't think the screws would work in that case)

9. ultra7k macrumors 6502

ultra7k

I think you had the same problem as me.

You need to remove the black plastic part at the back of the caddy. Undo all the screws on the caddy, and remove the black plastic part. It should now sit flush.

This had me all confused at first too, but it almost seems like the optibay was built for another computer...but once you remove that black plastic tab bar thingy, it's all good.

10. shenfrey thread starter macrumors 68000

Is this the black plastic tab your referring to? If so it's already out. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356205115.547608.jpg

11. bonedaddio macrumors member

Mine is similar... or the same one.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0058AH2US/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i02
    I bought the DVDR drive usb case combo, everything fit, everything worked. I added the SSD in original HDD bay, removed the optical and installed the HDD into the adapter and put that combination into the optical bay. Everything just worked... so did the 16 gbs of ram too. My MBP is CRAZY Fast!
    I would just order one of the ones that work, get it in, and THEN swap the caddy out. Just sayin. Good Luck, I definitely wouldn't want the case open like that!
    Edit: just had a thought: are the HDD mounting screws holding the assembly or lid up?

12. ultra7k macrumors 6502

ultra7k

That's the one, hmmm...maybe your SSD is a little thicker than others?

13. shenfrey thread starter macrumors 68000

I will buy that one, for now I will just take the HDD out and leave the SSD in. As I said will happen tomorrow, but thanks for the advice :)