Finished product - Video quality not good

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by toolbox, Nov 7, 2009.

1. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

Hi all

Just have question, i have been mucking around with some video i think i have finally ironed out the problems i was having with the ADVC box. Now that the movie is edited / and exported as a MOV file with the h.624 codec.

However i have noticed lines and other things in the picture. Is there any software there i can use to tidy it all up a bit? Try and remove the grainy picture etc? using imovie here ti edit.

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Which playback medium?
    Which playback device?

3. toolbox thread starter macrumors 68020

toolbox

Sorry left out the essentials

I am capturing video / audio from a VHS tape deck. Computer is capturing in DV format. I am editing that in imovie and exporting as MOV.

I notice this "ripples" in the picture on the computer as well as my tv. I have the media streaming to the apple tv to test it.

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

The Apple TV is a playback device; it is not a display device. Display devices include 1080i LCD monitors and such like. However, it seems that your problem is most likely your source material. VHS is extremely low-resolution. Standard VHS has about 220 effective lines of resolution. S-VHS will come in at 320 or so. On a 26" Panasonic CRT TV, it may look OK. The natural blurriness of the display conceals the lack of data in the video stream. Converted to digital and displayed on a high-definition fixed-pixel display, all of VHS's faults will be on display for all the World to see.

That said, the ripples sound like improper synchronization between your video capture and your tape deck. You may be able to eliminate the ripples, but you cannot add data to the video stream.