fink not removing ffmpeg dependencies along with ffmpeg

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by gumbyx84, Jul 16, 2010.

1. gumbyx84 macrumors 6502

gumbyx84

I used fink to install ffmpeg so I could convert some flvs I have to MP3s. Wasted at least 2+ hours to compile all the dependencies only to run into some problem where ffmpeg to throw out an error about flv being an unsupported video codec. I know it should have worked as I have done this on *nix systems before. I after fighting with it for an hour or so I broke down and am now using Audacity to rip the audio out (works too). So I go to uninstall ffmpeg from fink, expecting all the dependencies to go along with it. Except only ffmpeg is removed. dkpg and/or fink will automatically remove/uninstall the dependencies. ATM I am too frustrated to want to waste more time on this, so I come here asking for help. Is there something I am doing wrong for fink and dpkg not to auto-remove the dependencies?

I was able to output all the dependencies to a text file (yay redirect output). IF worse comes to worse, can anyone help me throw together a bash or perl script to go through the text file and "fink purge <dependency>" for me?

Again I normally wouldn't be asking for help without working on the problem myself, but after wasting all that time for the dependencies and ffmpeg to compile, I'm just too angry to think straight.

2. gumbyx84 thread starter macrumors 6502

gumbyx84

Nothing? :( : sighs: Guess Im going to have to do it the hard way and remove them by hand.