FiOS + Airport Express in Studio Apartment

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by smc333, Jun 11, 2013.

1. smc333 macrumors regular

Hi All,

I just moved into a studio apartment, and I got FiOS installed, only to find out the Actiontec router they gave me is only wireless "G". (I got the 15/5, since I'm just one person). There is a bit of lag, and the wireless just isn't good from this, so I read that you can turn the WiFi off and connect a wireless router to the device.

I won't need ethernet ports, as 1 goes to the Airport, I can still use the other 3 on the Actiontec for my 360 and Sony BDP, correct? (I've read that you set it so that the Actiontec is still responsible for assigning IPs).

Would the Airport Extreme serve my Wifi needs in a studio apartment? I figure it is dual band, N capable, which will work well with my new-ish rMBP 15.

Thanks for any insight, I've been trying to figure out the best solution for this, but I'm just honestly not sure.

2. itickings macrumors 6502a

itickings

Should work fine. Just make sure you are not actually running two routers unless you actually intend to.

What you probably want to do is to turn off the wireless on the router and add the Airport Express in bridge mode.

3. drsox macrumors 65816

drsox

If you get the AExtreme, then you have another option - turn the router bit of the FIOS off and run it just as a modem.
    Then use the AExtreme as a fully functional router with WiFi and the LAN ports for your other devices.

I've read other posts here that say that the FIOS isn't much of a router.
    Why not get an AE from Apple and try it for 15 days ?

4. Outrigger macrumors 68000

Outrigger

it heavily depends on if the OP got just the internet or the TV as well. If the latter, the router is needed since it supplies the TV guide and on demand. The TV really wouldn't work if you turn off the router since its not JUST a router.

5. drsox macrumors 65816

drsox

Good point.