FIOS and Airport Extreme Issues..

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by SSpiro, Apr 10, 2011.

1. SSpiro, Apr 10, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2011

SSpiro macrumors 6502a

SSpiro

I've read site after blog after discussion on airport extreme issues with FIOS.

I recently signed up with FIOS about 2 weeks ago. I got them to disable MoCA today and switched over to the ONT's ethernet port.

This is patched to my WAN port on my Airport Extreme. Verizon's 9100EM wireless router is patched in next downstream, via WAN port on the 9100EM. AEBS is now the wireless router, and the 9100EM is plugged in to enable VOD, the guide, pay-per-view, etc. AEBS is not in bridged mode.

All is well, as long as you are on a windows machine. Anything Microsoft gets 30-35mbps download speeds. Anything OSX gets 1.5-3.0mbps.

Just curious, since i've not found any answers anywhere else, if anyone else has come across and resolved? I may be forced to go back to Verizon's crappy wireless router tomorrow. Can't handle 1.5mbps. UGH

2. SSpiro thread starter macrumors 6502a

SSpiro

Went back to MoCA tonight until i find the fix. :/

3. EvilC5 macrumors 6502a

I guess im not really grasping the configuration. I h ave the Fios router coming off the fiber converter over coax and all of my cable boxes are networked over coax. the wireless radio on the fios router is turned off. I have my AEBS bridged, and and connected to the fios router and it acts as the wifi basestation. I can use the fios remote app from my ipad/iphone to control the dvr and STB's, and VOD works great, and my wireless speed is over 35mbps.

i guess i dont understand why the verizon router is after the aebs....or im missing the mark all together which is a high probability.

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

This is basically how I have mine set up too. In a previous home, I had the VZ router hooked up via Ethernet (had DirecTV) but also ONT->VZ routerwith wireless off->AEBS in bridge mode.

B

5. VTMac macrumors 6502

Another solution is to:
    - Disable VZW wifi
    - Put static IP on external interface (wan) of Airport (192.168.1.3)
    - Setup VZW router to put Airport as it's DMZ Host.
    - Use Airport DMZ on a different subnet for everything in your house (10.0.0.)

This eliminates the need to use the ONTs ethernet. And from the Airports perspective it's essentially directly connected to the internet. From the VZW router perspective, there is only 1 "computer" directly attached, and it's in the DMZ.

6. EvilC5 macrumors 6502a

I had this setup before and you cannot use some of the fios app features such as the mobile remote, and DVR scheduler. these apps want to be on the same network as the STB.

7. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

Yes that doesn't even seem valid to me.