FIOS and Airport Extreme Speed

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by olsend81, Nov 9, 2013.

1. olsend81 macrumors member

I just purchased and airport extreme and have had some speed issues. I have it setup so that I plugged the AE into the LAN port on the actiontec router. I setup a new Wireless network and also kept the wireless network turned on coming from the actiontec router. When I connect my MBP to the new network coming from the router I get speeds of about 3Mbs versus the actiontec router which is 25Mbs. I have tried turning off the wireless on the actiontec but that doesnt help the speed at all. Any suggestions or resources on the best way to setup these two routers that wont affect VOD or my land line both through Fios?

2. Mac.User macrumors 6502

You can make sure the AE is using N or AC, and you can try changing the channel that your Signal is on.

3. ColdCase, Nov 10, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2013

ColdCase macrumors 68030

I've set up a few of these and have not noticed these issues. Do you have the AE set up as an access point (bridge mode turning DHCP and NAT off) or a router? Which port on the AE are you connecting to the actiontec (WAN or one of the LAN) ?

For most of my apps I turn the actiontec wireless and routing functions off (bridge mode) and use the AE routing functions. Dunno if that impacts VOD or Phone, although my phone is not connected to the actiontec, it connects directly to the FIOS network box.

4. willgreene99 macrumors regular

willgreene99

I had a similar setup working smoothly for the past year, but recently, my Airport Extreme (AE) and Airport Express (AX) has stopped being reliable.

I can't determine what is the cause, but it happened after I upgraded my Mac Pro to 10.9 and Verizon tried to push out some update.

The setup that used to work well, but no longer does:

FIOS - Wifi off, DHCP on
    AE - Wifi on, Router Mode-Bridged
    AX - Extend Wifi from AE

Now this setup worked well, got max speeds that I was subscribing to.

Until two weeks ago, then things stopped working, AE kept giving errors that the WPA pw was incorrect and any i-Device could not connect to the network. Only wired connections were still useable.

That was not going to work, so I went out and bought a new AE-AC, the tower airport extreme. Spent three days trying to get it to work reliably, no success.

Now, I have had to revert to using the FIOS router's Wifi and just unplug the AE and AX altogether. Everything works with the FIOS wifi, apple tv, ipads, ipods, etc., just doesn't make sense, yet.

5. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Sounds like a Verizon issue. I know their tech support is poor but it's your best chance I think. You could try a complete reset of the modem but I'm not familiar enough with their stuff. I have a Virgin Media FIOS modem setup the same way as yours and it works fine. Modem to Time Capsule to AE in the bedroom. Over 90MPS wifi in the house. Whatever they did it's their stuff that's to blame here I think

6. ColdCase, Nov 24, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2013

ColdCase macrumors 68030

Do you need the actiontech box for other functions like TV? I usually just throw the actiontech box away and connect the AEBS directly to the FIOS access point ethernet connector.

The firmware update changed IGMP Proxy settings, dunno if that would affect you.

There were a couple reports of slowdowns after the updates on DSL reports but they generally cleared up after a few days. For example:

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r28804252-Slowdown-since-router-update-

7. willgreene99 macrumors regular

willgreene99

That I do, as I am getting their Prime HD package for the kid's channels so that they can access their content on the Apple TV's. And about that, I would be much happier if I could go A-La-Cart for this stuff instead of required to get a bundle to watch the content that Apple decides to put on the menu of available channels, knowing full well that my kids are going to clamor for that.