Fire And My Electronics?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by MallCop, Apr 10, 2011.

1. MallCop macrumors 6502

So long story short my furnace had a fire that caused the side of my house to partially burn and black soot all throughout the house. Thankfully no one was hurt and stuff could be replaced. We have already contacted insurance and they have agreed to replace the furnace and all that without even coming to look at it yet. They have already contacted a cleaning crew and one came out yesterday to look at everything. Now the adjuster will be coming tomorrow and we have been asked to make a list of all damages/losses, the furnace is in my basement where my HDTV, home theater, gaming consoles, etc. all are. The basement sustained the most damage with the walls becoming black all over. The furnace has been leaking soot for the last few weeks and we havent noticed until it started burning the side of the house. The TV and other electronics have all been on during that time and I assume have sucked in numerous amounts of soot. So could that cause damage to them and should I get them replaced?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

It can build up and cause heating problems, but it doesn't necessarily mean you have to replace them.

3. MallCop thread starter macrumors 6502

If the root of the soot has stopped can it cause damage over the longer term?

4. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

No one can know for sure. All that's certain is that there isn't supposed to be soot in the air where your electronics are. Only way to check would be to open them up, I'm afraid.

5. MallCop thread starter macrumors 6502

Sounds like Ill push for replacements then.