Fire and smoke damage?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Steve.P.JobsFan, Jun 10, 2012.

1. Steve.P.JobsFan macrumors 6502a

Steve.P.JobsFan

Literally about 30 minutes ago, there was a grease fire in my house. My dad was cooking with grease, and went to the garage for 10 minutes, and the grease ignited. There is a duct in the kitchen that connects directly to my bedroom. So, within 10 minutes, my room was extremely hot, and chock full of white thick smoke - it was choking me.

Anyways, here's my question.

Is it possible for thick smoke from a fire (usually containing soot), to damage an iMac?

Oh, if it helps, the Fire department sprayed a fire extinguisher in my room, too.

Can that damage an iMac? I'm going to the Genius Bar on Tuesday to have the HDD replaced, so maybe I should have them inspect the iMac, right?

2. leman macrumors 604

Of course it can damage a computer, what kind of question is that? On the other note, insurance should cover any damage.

3. Steve.P.JobsFan thread starter macrumors 6502a

Steve.P.JobsFan

Would AppleCare cover it? Or would it go through our homeowners insurance?

There wasn't like an actual huge fireball. The pan just lit on fire, and the whole house was filled with smoke. There wasn't fire or 1000º temperatures near the iMac - just thick smoke, if that helps.

4. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

No, AppleCare is not insurance for accident damage.

5. Steve.P.JobsFan thread starter macrumors 6502a

Steve.P.JobsFan

Darn it. :p

I think the deductible for our homeowners insurance is almost as much as I paid for this iMac. :eek:

6. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

Literally 30 minutes after the fire you posted... Midnight snack is one thing, but what your dad was thinking when he decided to deep fry at this time of day puts it into a league above all!

As for your iMac, doubt it will care at all, sans some grease on the exterior you may want to clean off. As there isn't much on the inside that will be affected by that exposure.... Unless of course grease fires are a common event at your place...

Now as for indoor cigarette smokers - that will do a number over time!

7. Steve.P.JobsFan thread starter macrumors 6502a

Steve.P.JobsFan

My Mom smokes..... a lot. :(

No, grease fires aren't the norm at my place. No offense to my Mom's BF (I just call him my Dad), but he isn't the brightest crayon in the box, to say the least... :eek:

8. markwaugh, May 14, 2013
    Last edited: May 16, 2013

markwaugh macrumors newbie

99 Main St #5, Stafford Springs, CT 06076
    That would have damaged the iMac badly. You cannot afford to risk it. You should go for homeowners insurance.

Florida claims adjuster