Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

091408-fire_400.jpg

Fire at Apple: MSNBC
A few more details about the fire at Apple headquarters have been revealed that we first reported last night on Page 2. MSNBC reports that firefighters battled the blaze for more than 3 hours and was finally extinguished Wednesday morning. No injuries were reported.

The Mercury News reports that the fire may have started under an air conditioning unit on the second floor. The fire was first reported shortly after 10 p.m. local time. Over 60 firefighters responded.

Several sites are reporting that the building was a research and development building based on a passing mention at Engadget, but other commenters have disputed this claim.

Article Link

queshy

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2005
I can just imagine Steve Jobs debating whether or not it was worth it to let the firefighters inside the compound.

so true. so how long til we read a post that goes like this "I'm a fireman and was just in the Apple headquarters...guess what I saw!!"

Whatever is being worked on is without a doubt locked up at night. My bet is that the firemen didn't see anything, and if they did, they were probably too busy..uh...putting out the fire. I hope so, anyway.

krye

macrumors 68000
Aug 21, 2007
USA
That's horrible. I'm glad no one was hurt. I wonder if Apple is going to have any setbacks because of this. I wonder how much R&D was lost. (Prototypes, technical drawings, etc) It's a shame. I'd hate to walk into work one day to find out everything I've worked on for the past year is gone. My heart goes out to all the dedicated Apple employees that bust their ass everyday so we can have what we have.

motulist

macrumors 601
Dec 2, 2003
I'd hate to walk into work one day to find out everything I've worked on for the past year is gone.

Being a fortune 500 computer design company, one would assume that they have an extensive automated offsite backup system.

Bubba Satori

Suspended
Feb 15, 2008
B'ham
They wanted to see if the fire department would work as the new cooling solution for Nvida Macbook Pro video cards. The test was successful but portability and cost issues have not been resolved. :mad:

tmelvin

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2008
Someone said they saw Steve Ballmer running out the back, jumping and screaming like a monkey. Not sure if that's been corroborated though.

Nov 6, 2007
How can anyone rate a fire as positive? Even if you dislike the company?

Man that has have to hurt. I been through fires at companies and an apt fire - yeah devestating.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.