fire fox theme problem

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by saladiro, Dec 29, 2007.

1. saladiro macrumors 6502a

saladiro

hi, i down loaded fire fox for the mac, the problem is that the version i downloaded wont let me drag bookmarks to the tool bar. I did some research and was to told to try other firefox themes such as Mac favi . com.....but i had no luck. can anyone help?

2. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

i doubt its a theme problem, try organize your bookmarks, and drag the ones you want to the bookmark-toolbar folder inside bookmark manager.

3. saladiro thread starter macrumors 6502a

saladiro

hi....i have organized my bookmarks, and in bookmark manager, I have moved all my favorites" literally under the "bookmark tool bar" (I really mean this!) Could I have a bad version installed? or maybe done something iincorrectly when i installed it.? I tried googling the problem, and I came accross downloading themes that would allow this....tried those, and it appears they did not work.

I appoligize if I am missing the big picture, but I have tried everything as simple as possible, for literally draging the bookmark to the toolbar (which gets rejected) to organizing the book mark manager (where in literally see it under the book mark tool bar folder), but when I close out, its on on the bookmark toolbar foler, (its just blank)

4. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

can you post a screenshot to explain the problem? That might help us to figure it out faster..

don't be sorry, it absolutely should not be your fault.

5. saladiro thread starter macrumors 6502a

saladiro

sure, how do I "print screen" on a mac? what is the button,

i will try to create a trail

6. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

shift+apple+3 grab screen
    shift+apple+4 grab an area

7. saladiro thread starter macrumors 6502a

saladiro

note, i have leopard OS

shot 1 is the blank tool bar folder, notice on the bookmarks on the left, there is a bookmarks tool bar folder, with bookmarks.

shot 2 shows me dragging the book mark tool bark link (eg citibank) up to the tool bar folder

shot 3 show the toolbar folder rejecting my drag

shot 4 is manage bookmarks which again has bookmark tool bars with links

basically i dont see these links in my tool bar, yet firefox is telling me they are

please let me know if you can help

Attached Files:

8. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

ok, lets try this

1. when you right click on the toolbar (e.g., right click home button), on the context menu, is "Bookmarks Toolbar" checked?

if yes

2. close firefox, goto ~/library/application support/firefox, change the name of firefox to something else, such as "firefox2", restart firefox, does the problem persist?

Attached Files:

9. saladiro thread starter macrumors 6502a

saladiro

hi...happy new year!

ok...when i right click on the toolbar, bookmark tool bar is checked

now when i go to the path you specified, i see something different, i have a mozilla folder and not a fire fox, and then it has a different file extension.
    do i have the wrong version installed?

Attached Files:

10. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

no, looking for the library folder in your HOME FOLDER, the folder with your name saladiro. not macintosh HD

11. saladiro thread starter macrumors 6502a

saladiro

HOLY CR@P....it works...not sure what that did, but thank you very much!!!

12. nitynate macrumors 6502a

Why does that link open mail?

13. saladiro thread starter macrumors 6502a

saladiro

i am honestly not sure what i did when i typed it....very weird?

14. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

ok, now, you have an option to export your passwords and bookmarks.

simply goto old profile folder (firefox2 if thats the new name), find bookmarks.html, signon*.txt, key3.db, copy them to the same location in the newly created firefox folder (automatically by firefox)

my guess is that userchrom.css is changed in your old profile, or something else.

new profile generally solve 99% of complicated firefox problems, but you lose extensions, themes. passwords and bookmarks can be easily transfer to new profile tho.

glad it helped.