Fire, Major Graphic Studio

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by a2jack, Jul 18, 2019.

1. JayMysterio macrumors 6502a

JayMysterio

I was just reading this.

All done on purpose. :mad:

https://kotaku.com/fire-at-kyoto-animation-sixteen-confirmed-dead-and-sus-1836473998?

Update: July 18 - 12:46 am: According to Japanese TV news, there are still people trapped in the studio and there are twenty people who are still unaccounted for.

Update 2: July 18 - 12:59 am: One witness said the suspect was screaming “die” as he lit the fire.

Update 3: July 18 - 3:08 am: The Japanese media is now reporting that seven people are confirmed dead.

Update 4: July 18 - 3:30 am: An announcement scheduled tomorrow for Kyoto Animation’s new Free! movie has been canceled. [Eds Note: This update originally stated the movie had been canceled. It has not. We regret the error.]

Update 5: July 18 - 4:36 am: Sixteen people are now confirmed dead, the Japanese TV media reports.

Update 6: July 18 - 5:18 am: Kyoto Animation CEO Hideaki Hatta told reporters that for the past few years death threats have often been sent to the company.

Update 7: July 18 - 6:09 am: Fans have posting messages, expressing sorrow and offering condolences using a #prayforkyoani hashtag on Twitter.

Update 8: July 18 - 7:09 am: Twenty-five people have been confirmed dead.

2. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

3. JayMysterio macrumors 6502a

JayMysterio

It will devastate the animation community, and anime fans worldwide.

4. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Whoever did this should spend the rest of his life in prison.

5. JayMysterio macrumors 6502a

JayMysterio

Update:

Updated: 7/18/2019, 8:26 a.m. ET: Thirty-three people have been confirmed dead.

6. a2jack, Jul 19, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2019

a2jack thread starter macrumors 6502

a2jack

7. JayMysterio macrumors 6502a

JayMysterio

This kind of thing doesn't seem to stop, it just seems to lead to stupidity.

https://kotaku.com/man-threatens-square-enix-with-a-kyoto-animation-repeat-1837164385

Forty-year-old Kenichi Hiratsuka has been arrested after allegedly sending a threatening message to Square Enix.

Fuji Network News reports that the message was sent via Square Enix’s inquiry page. “Gimme my money back for your ****** game,” read the message. “Want me to do a repeat of Kyoto Animation?”

In July, a suspected arsonist allegedly lit gasoline in Kyoto Animation’s Fushimi studio, killing 35 employees.

Hiratsuka has admitted to sending the message, telling authorities, “I was pissed after losing at a game, so I ended up sending the message.” According to Jiji Press, the game was for smartphones. Authorities did not discover any gasoline or other flammables at the suspect’s house.

Earlier this spring, another man was arrested for threatening to kill Square Enix staff. At the time, the suspect reportedly said, “I spent over 200,000 yen ($1,794) on the game and I didn’t get the [in-game] item I wanted so I sent the email out of revenge.”