Fire Resistant External Hard Drive Enclosures

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by joro, Jul 1, 2009.

1. joro macrumors 68020

joro

I have tried looking for an external hard drive setup which is contained in some sort of vault which would be fire-resistant and, preferably, moisture resistant. Any ideas on where I can find this type of setup or even does it exist? :confused:

2. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

It's called "off site storage" :D

Even if you had such a beast, intense heat demagnetizes objects. You might save the drive physically, but I bet you data would be compromised.

3. joro thread starter macrumors 68020

joro

I actually do have redundancies in place right now but I am looking for an alternative to keeping all these drives in different places. :D

4. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

It's really too bad that ************************** is Banned.

But, this and this were found via Google. :D

I would think that doing both physical (non-fireproof back-up) and offsite, might be the safer solution. Most home-based fireproof things are only guaranteed for a certain amount of time, usually only like 30 minutes. And as much as they can try to get your data back, there is no guarantee, they will just refund you and your data still isn't there.

Might I wonder why you feel this necessary?

5. rkdiddy macrumors 65816

rkdiddy

I agree with offsite storage (especially your photos) - I also have a small external HD that I back up my essentials to and store in my fireproof safe.

6. joro thread starter macrumors 68020

joro

As I said I am currently using offset storage along with two external drives I keep in my house. I guess I was just trying to find a better solution but I do see that those two links which were posted (thanks thegoldenmackid!) were only rated for up to 30 minutes which I don’t think would give me a piece of mind. Oh well, I guess I’ll have to do it the old fashioned way! Thanks for the input all! :D

7. pprior macrumors 65816

The problem with fireproof drives is that pretty much every fireproofing uses gypsum and that insulates the drive, so they will tend to overheat quickly, unless you let air through, and that tends to defeat the fireproofing.... Of course they say "it will seal off during an actual fire" but I wouldn't trust that myself.

Personally I use a quick swap drive and have 2 drives that I rotate into an actually fireproof safe that I have in the house. Other documents etc (birth certificates, etc) go into the safe, so it serves other purposes and it's still -relatively- easy.

8. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

The solution above is one, but after being in a family that is involved with an industry that requires safes, home safes are sorta a big joke, you really have to remember the time. Off-site seems like the greatest piece of mind.