Fire sale at best buy for 2015 mbp's (UPDATE)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by robeddie, Jan 26, 2017.

1. robeddie, Jan 26, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2017

robeddie Suspended

robeddie

Not advertising for Best Buy here, but had to mention, they're selling both the 13" and 15" 2015 MacBook pro's for $250 off retail. Brand new.

That's notable, imo, since even the refurbed MacBook pro's on Apple's site (when they're even available) are only $200 off full price.

My guess is that Apple unloaded a bunch of these on best buy to get rid of them. So for those of you who aren't that thrilled with the 2016 models, like me, it's a great opp to grab one of the 'good' ones. :)

UPDATE: The sale just ended. The 13 inch models are now back up to $1199. Still $100 off full retail, but $150 more than yesterday.

2. Sanpete macrumors 68020

I suppose this will affect the open box prices too, for those seeking even more savings.

3. robeddie thread starter Suspended

robeddie

Correct. For sealed in box new, the base 13-inch, normally $1299, is $1049. The open box right now is going for $944

4. tubeexperience, Jan 26, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2017

tubeexperience macrumors 68030

That's not as good as when I bought a MacBook Pro Retina 15" for $400.

It's used, but I couldn't refuse.

5. robeddie thread starter Suspended

robeddie

Yea, but a used laptop is often a dicey proposition, imo, since the way some people thrash them around. Now of course if it was in great condition, and worked without a hitch, that's awesome.

But then I go on craigslist for instance, and these morons are trying to sell their 3 year old 13 inch MacBook pro's for $700 ... and I wonder what they're smoking. I think people hear the old adage that 'macs hold their value' but take it way way too far.

I've sold many a mac laptop on craigslist and when I first listed for the kind of prices that all these other knuckleheads were asking, I would get nothing but scam offers and bizarre trade proposals. I just recently sold my 2011 15-inch MacBook pro, but only got serious bites once I lowered the price to $450 (it was flawless, zero dents and only a few light scuffs on the bottom). But I see dozens of people trying to sell the same model for $600 and up. Good luck to them, but I think they're idiots.

6. Tazoawake2016 macrumors member

Tazoawake2016

Bought one last Friday when it was $1099. Then when the price dropped by further $50 on Tuesday, got the difference back. Very happy with my purchase.:) Btw, BB is also discounting the 12-inch MBs by $300.

I agree with your observation about some CL sellers of Apple products. Some of the asking prices are downright hilarious.

7. magbarn macrumors 68000

tempting to upgrade my 2012 rmbp 15 for the $1750 model... I already have a spare apple 1tb ssd to put in it.... or wait for rev B of the TB model...

8. robeddie thread starter Suspended

robeddie

I'd make a decision soon. I doubt the stock will last very long at these discounts

9. reno55 macrumors regular

Think the one they have for $1,049 is worth it now?

10. PieTunes macrumors 6502

PieTunes

It's a great price at $250 off retail for what is still a very viable machine depending on your needs, wants, use case, etc. "Worth it" is all relative. One should weigh pros and cons to see if the cost versus what you get is "worth it" to them.

11. robeddie thread starter Suspended

robeddie

Well, I love this iteration. I bought two of the 13 inch ones, one for me and one for my daughter. In a few months time I'll likely upgrade the SSD to a 1tb.

OWC has SDD upgrades, so do these guys > http://www.transintl.com/super-blade-flash-storage-ssd.html

12. ozziegn macrumors 6502a

ozziegn

The one that's $1049 only has 128GB SSD which is way too low. I wouldn't touch anything unless it has at least 256GB. Yes, you can upgrade the memory to 512GB from the link above but that's another $600.

13. robeddie thread starter Suspended

robeddie

Well, the 1tb is $600 at OWC. Either way, it's great to have that option down the road. In 10 months maybe, I'll do the upgrade. And by then, who knows, it may be a little cheaper!

14. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

I still don't understand how that happened. You are so lucky. I've scored some Craigslist deals, but NOTHING like that! Was it fully functional, no iCloud lock, etc?

15. Patcell macrumors 6502

Not sure what they have now, but always check B&H Photo also... I bought my mid-2014 15" pro (high-end with dGPU) brand new a month after the minimally refreshed 2015 model was released for $1800. Brand new, sealed in box, $700 off regular price.

16. tubeexperience macrumors 68030

It came with original box and accessories and receipt.

I was told that it has "graphical issues" and sure enough, when I stress the dGPU, it does.

With my phone, I took photos of the issues and printed them.

In the morning, I did a walk-in to the B&M Apple Store right after the store opened.

After I presented them the photos, the Apple Associate ran many tests, but wasn't able to reproduce the issues.

Using a store phone, I called Apple Support and keep asking for the case to be escalated.

In the late afternoon, Apple Support has eventually decided to repair the laptop free of charge.

I handed over the laptop.

Three weeks later, I was notified that the laptop is ready for pick up.

When I pick up the laptop, I found out that depot has replaced the logic board, display, and top case (which include the keyboard, trackpad, and battery)