Fire wire and Lion

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by Bigtree, Oct 1, 2011.

1. Bigtree macrumors 6502

Does Lion support fire wire? I tried using my old time machine to start my backup of Lion and Lion doesn't recognize my time machine hard drive. Or is my hard drive shot. I can hear it spin but it doesn't light up (My Book hard drive). BTW I'm using fire wire like I did in Snow Leopard.

2. Taz Mangus macrumors 68040

Taz Mangus

Does the drive have a USB connection? If so, might want to give that a try. Lion supports firewire connections.

3. Partron22 macrumors 68000

Partron22

How is your drive partitioned? Lion is partial to having a GUID Partition Table.
    Lion's version of Time machine may have the same requirement for its backup drives.
    My GUID partitioned firewire drives are working fine under Lion.

4. Bigtree thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for your replies. I did what Taz suggested; plugged in a USB cable and things began to work. Then I shut down the back up drive, re-attached the fire wire, and now I'm backed-up!

Again Thanks Taz!:)

5. MikhailT macrumors 601

Your firewire ports are fine, it's not your laptop. Most WD external hard drives are not yet compatible with Lion via firewire.

WD said they were going to release an update at their forums for months but it never came.

I got fed up and ordered a separate external case from OCW that promises Lion's compatibility and I'll be transferring the hard drives from MyBook Studio to OCW's case.

6. Taz Mangus macrumors 68040

Taz Mangus

Your Welcome! Glad it started working for you again.