Fire Wire issue.. tried everything i could possibly think to fix/diagnose the problem

Discussion in 'iMac' started by eskomo021, Sep 8, 2011.

1. eskomo021 macrumors newbie

Okay so i recently traded computers with a friend, and i though that the firewire port on it was blown out.. So i set up an appointment with apple to check it out. But i needed to upload some footage in the meantime, so i used my parents older model imac which has two firewire ports mind you; a 600, and 800.. I have the cables for both of the ports, but tried the 800 first seeing as how it's supposed to be a little bit faster. So i plug in my camera, turn it on, and launch fcp like always. But the same message "firewire device not connected" or whatever displays. Now i am confused, because i thought it was my computer that was messed up.. So i think maybe it's my 800 cord, so i plug it in with the 600 cable; same result. So i go into settings and change the video settings to "fire wire basic" then when that doesn't work i proceed to try every ntsc setting available aside from the hdv ones.. Doesn't work with any of them.. So now i start to suspect that maybe it's my capture camera, even though i'd used it with my macbook pro when i still had it.. I'd used it maybe 5-6 days ago, and it worked flawlessly.. So i'm really confused as to what's going on, i kind of doubt that both my computer, and my parents computers have blown firewire ports.. I have also tried the trick i saw someone suggest on this site i believe where you turn the computer off, unplug it for 5 seconds and turn it on and the firewire works because something gets reset.. That was unsuccessful.

Does anyone have any experience with this issue? Also the screen is flickering when the camera is plugged into both computers.. Not sure what that signifies, but figured it could be useful info.

2. DarkVinda macrumors regular

DarkVinda

Hey,

If when you plug the camera in it flickers on both comps - then as a general trial and error i would point towards the camera having an issue - especially with it causing that.

when something is plugged in it shouldn't really cause that flicker - I'm thinking that maybe there's a small surge - this is either faulty cable (but you've tried both so trial n error would say not) or camera - is this camera powered by ac adaptor?

3. MacTech68 macrumors 68000

MacTech68

Sounds like the camera (if it's happening with two computers).

However, amongst the usual advice, there a few unique tips here:

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1059

Also, check the firewire ports of the computer and camera (as well as the connectors on the cable) for dust.