Fire wire with TM a pain,, duh

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lukester, Jun 16, 2015.

1. lukester macrumors 6502

I just bought a 1 TB fire wire/ USB 3 drive for extra storage and TM. I have a mid 2010 17" MBP and wanted the fire wire for fast access to free up space on my main HD.
    Well, everytime the computer sleeps the drives disconnect. I did not have this problem while using the USB 2 on my computer.

So I spent the extra money for nothing I guess since I just went back to using the USB 2 port since hopefully that will not disconnect.

I wonder why there is a difference in the 2 ports.

2. lukester thread starter macrumors 6502

I guess my quest for more speed may only be resolved with a new computer.
    The 8gig of ram I have now is limiting since I edit large files in PS, plus the lack of USB 3 ports.
    The best part of my computer is the matte screen.
    I am hesitant to go for the new computers with the glossy screens for editing photos.

Not sure what to do. I do have a 30" cinema older screen which is great but don't use it that much since I like working in my kitchen with the brighter light than my office. So I could go for a new MBP and still use it I guess.

3. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

To be honest photos look much better on the glossy screens, the matte screens are only useful if you are using them in overly bright environment. Also the much higher resolution gives you far more control in your editing on the new machines. The rMBP has a pretty good antiglare coating as well, that gives you the best of both worlds in my opinion but if you like to do it while sat in the sun you'll have issues...