FIREBOX - I can see audio levels but can't hear it. Help!

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by oliver784, May 4, 2009.

1. oliver784 macrumors newbie

Searched in the forums to what I think is a basic issue, but couldn't find anyone with an answer...

I have audio routed into my firebox from an external mixer. I can see the audio meter in the "in" sound panel of system preferences moving but I can't hear sound coming out of my soundsticks. Sound input is set to the Firebox and Sound out is set to Soundsticks. AudiMidiSetup wordclock is set to Device, Input to Firebox and output to Soundsticks.

Audio routed out of my computer into external amp/stereo setup is audible, however.

Can anyone help me figure this out so I can move and and start setting Firebox up with Logic? LOL

My hardware specs (I'm running 10.4.11):
    Hardware Overview:

Machine Name: Power Mac G4
    Machine Model: PowerMac3,5
    CPU Type: PowerPC G4 (2.1)
    Number Of CPUs: 2
    CPU Speed: 800 MHz
    L2 Cache (per CPU): 256 KB
    L3 Cache (per CPU): 2 MB
    Memory: 1.5 GB
    Bus Speed: 133 MHz
    Boot ROM Version: 4.2.5f1

2. jackerin macrumors 6502a

I think the simple thing is that you don't have any connection between audio in and audio out. Audio in is simply what the computer is set to receive, by default it does not play back the audio it is receiving from the inputs.

If, however, you open a recording application like Garageband, then make a new real intrument track with inputs being the Firebox, then turn on monitoring for that track, you should hear it fine.

(You might be able to route it with Soundflower, but there is also the possibility that you can do it in the Firebox software. With my Firewire Solo there is an option to set it to passthrough audio directly from the inputs to the outputs, though you'll have to be using the AI for both ins and outs in that case.)