Fired comcast...hired at&t... can't send emails now.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Cudadown, Jan 27, 2008.

1. Cudadown macrumors regular

Yesterday I had at&t Uverse installed with the Ultra DSL. I am coming off of comcast cable. Seems I can receive email fine but when I try to send a email I get a "cannot send message using the server smtp.mac.com:myuserid.

Any ideas?

ps - Please no at&t bashing. I am a employee.

2. MurphyM macrumors 6502

Some ISPs won't allow you to use an smtp server (for sending mail) other than their own.

I'm guessing you didn't change anything in your mail configuration? You need to look at the AT&T page for email configuration and see what smtp server they want you to use.

I know Bellsouth played that way, and AT&T took them in.

3. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

you are using smtp.mac.com as outgoing email service?

4. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

According to this ATT blocks all outgoing mail servers except their own, however if you call their tech support they will unblock them.

5. Cudadown thread starter macrumors regular

That is how my iMac set up the computer when I bought it in Dec. I havent changed anything except went to DSL. So if it is smtp.mac it was by OS X default. It set it up when my trial .mac account started.

6. Cudadown thread starter macrumors regular

Just got off the phone with at&t tech support. They are very good. Had my smtp port unlocked in about 3 minutes. Works great now. He even knew OS X mail program very well.

7. bluntball macrumors newbie