Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cgnjny

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 10, 2004
Following recommendation, I downloaded and installed FireFox 1.0PR the other day on my G3/600mhz/384/panther 10.3.6 machine and have had problems with the application.

Not only did it initially take WAYYYY long to launch once I opened the app, but when I ran AND QUIT the application, FireFox seems to be "loading/unloading" in my dock (the icon appears and disappears from the dock repeatedly). I tried to force quit and quit while it appeared. Only solution was to restart and I have not re-run it after the restart because of this issue.

I am not programming tech-savvy so I don't know how else to describe what is happening. Anyone else having problems like this? Are there updates to fix said problem?

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
The thing a lot of people don't realize about Firefox is it's not an official release. What this means is they haven't always kept it's settings files consistent from release to release - actually they recommend that you blow away your old preferences directory and the application directory before upgrading. So here's what you have to do:

Find your Firefox preferences directory. Depending on what version you're upgrading from, it might be ~/Library/Firefox, ~/Library/Application Support/Firefox, or something similar with "Firebird" substituted for "Firefox", or even "Phoenix" in there! Anyway, find it, go into the default profile and copy your bookmarks file (bookmarks.html) somewhere safe, such as into your Documents directory.

Trash the entire Firefox preferences directory (whatever it turned out to be called).

Trash your current application of Firefox/Firebird/Phoenix/whatever.

NOW install the new firefox, and launch it. You might still see the bounce/relaunch happen once, but that should be it.

After you've run the new one once, copy your saved bookmarks.html file into the new profile directory that was created - overwriting the small bookmarks.html file that was generated automatically in there.

Edit: I'm adding this because you said you weren't tech-savvy; but maybe you already know it. Anyway, in what I typed above the symbol "~" represents your home directory. So go into the Library folder inside your home directory, etc.

bjs1234

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2004
I have the same issue..

I have the same issue as the original poster, and I did those things described in the solutions and all Mozilla products that I've tried, including Mozilla, FireFox, and Camino all do the same thing-- they'll start up and maybe run once, then quit, and then not be able to be started again (they'll just start up, bounce in the dock, then quit out).

I'm at a loss as to what to do?

Thanks for any help.

Ben

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
bjs1234 said:
I have the same issue as the original poster, and I did those things described in the solutions and all Mozilla products that I've tried, including Mozilla, FireFox, and Camino all do the same thing-- they'll start up and maybe run once, then quit, and then not be able to be started again (they'll just start up, bounce in the dock, then quit out).

I'm at a loss as to what to do?

Thanks for any help.

Ben
Perhaps the Mozilla global registry "/Library/Mozilla/global.regs" (without the quotes) is corrupted. Try deleting it and launching Mozilla/Firefox/Camino again.

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
Oh yes, and after trashing those old prefs, log out. This will kill off any stray mozilla processes (you might get 'em using killall instead, but sometimes the relaunch cycle is a bit too quick.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.