Firefox 2.0 very crashy

inboulder

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 27, 2006
Has anyone else had the new firefox 2.0 crash constantly on them, if so have there been any workarounds?

I d/ed firefox 2.0 and have been using it for 2 days. It crashes while loading a variety of pages an average of every 5 pages or so.
My stats:
MacBook 1.8 w/ 1.25 gigs ram
Mac OS X 10.4.8
Firefox 2.0
- all plugins updated
- google toolbar
- stumbleupon
- flashblock
- download statusbar

Does anyone know if I can replace it with firefox 1.8 without problems (or where I can find 1.8, it seems to be buried on the moz site)

ChickenSwartz

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2006
inboulder said:
Has anyone else had the new firefox 2.0 crash constantly on them, if so have there been any workarounds?
I used it for about a day and it never crashed...weird.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
Nah... just hang in there... they'll probably fix it fairly quick... and it's not that bad.

RC2 was actually more stable than RC3, IMO, and I think 2.0 final is more or less identical to RC3. So if they just polish it a bit 2.0.1 ought to be great and hopefully come out soon... ;)

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
I'll wait till 2.0.2 or so.

I love it, and yes 1.5.0.7 which I run is the previous release, but Firefox is such a central part of my life that I do want it to be reliable :)

psychometry

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2006
I was very impressed with Firefox 2.0. It runs so much faster than 1.5 on my PB/1.25 GHz/1GB that I switched back to it from Camino (again).

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
I've not had a crash yet so I would guess that it would be your extensions and not Firefox. Try disabling all of those not installed by Mozilla and see if there is still a problem. Then, if that's not it, enable them one by one.

dogbone said:
I downloaded RC2 a couple of weeks ago but when I went to check the 'about' box it says 2.0, is this what it should read for RC2. Or has it somehow updated by itself?
Use "Check for Updates..." in the Help menu to see if it's been updated or not.

dogbone

macrumors 68020
@bousozoku

OK thanks for that, I was wondering where the 'updates' button was. It says 2.0rc3 is available. Now I'm confused. I thought the rc version was a pre release.

Is there a difference between FF2.0 and FFrc2 or are they different ways of saying the same thing.

Also should I update to 2.0rc3 or wait.

psychometry

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2006
dogbone said:
@bousozoku

OK thanks for that, I was wondering where the 'updates' button was. It says 2.0rc3 is available. Now I'm confused. I thought the rc version was a pre release.

Is there a difference between FF2.0 and FFrc2 or are they different ways of saying the same thing.

Firefox 2 has been officially released. No more RCs.

dogbone

macrumors 68020
psychometry said:
Firefox 2 has been officially released. No more RCs.
Look I'm not trying to be difficult, I really don't understand. 'Update' says 2.0rc3 available, but my 'about' box says I'm running 'version 2.0'.

AFAIK I downloaded rc2 some time ago. Why doesn't the 'about' box say rc2, has it udated by itself?

I don't know if I'm running FFrc2 or FF2.0 or even if there is a difference.:confused:

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
dogbone said:
Look I'm not trying to be difficult, I really don't understand. 'Update' says 2.0rc3 available, but my 'about' box says I'm running 'version 2.0'.
The full version string in the 2.0 about box should be "Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X Mach-O; en-GB; rv:1.8.1) Gecko/20061010 Firefox/2.0" - is that an exact match for yours?

You could download it the old fashioned way if you're not sure that the update doodad did the right thing.

[edit: Okay, yours is not the latest, the 20061003 tells you. ]

keithbennis

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2006
Coral Springs
I posted this on another FireFox thread...... might as well paste it here:

I seem to have a problem now with FireFox.... when I leave it open for long periods at a time, and go to sites, the images on the site doesn't load, or the site will just load all messed up. I have to quit FireFox and reopen it to restore order. I shouldn't have to do that........ it's pretty annoying and I don't get it. Anyone else have this problem?

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
dogbone said:
@bousozoku

Just update to the final. The updater might pick up the final but why waste the time, if it doesn't?

I think the update routine is either not right or the location at which it looks hasn't been updated to point to the final release. I had a similar problem with the nightly build and I finally just downloaded from http://www.getfirefox.com/ since it couldn't find anything after the last nightly update on the 24th. Hopefully, they know about the problem.

macridah

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2004
Nor-Cal
not to bad so far. I like that the close tab button is actually on the tabs. But a lot of my themes don't work.

I usually use safari anyways.

scott523

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2006
Saint Charles, MO
Yea you can say it's a bit 'crashy'. Firefox has never crashed on me besides using IE rendering engine a couple times. Today I installed Firefox 2.0 and played around with it. After falling asleep with about 5 tabs open, I woke up to find that it had crashed.

Overall this was a good update. In my perspective, this update had no major changes. All Firefox 2.0 did was integrate the tab browsing extension I had installed, added a built-in spell checker, and more things (security messages, phishing protection) to check/uncheck within the Options.

gammamonk

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2004
Madison, WI
not to bad so far. I like that the close tab button is actually on the tabs. But a lot of my themes don't work.

I usually use safari anyways.
I actually don't like where the tab close buttons are. Since it opens tabs instead of new windows by default, you often need to close the last 3 or 4 tabs, but you have to move your mouse around to do it. Before you just hovered over the button and clicked 3 or 4 times.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
I actually don't like where the tab close buttons are. Since it opens tabs instead of new windows by default, you often need to close the last 3 or 4 tabs, but you have to move your mouse around to do it. Before you just hovered over the button and clicked 3 or 4 times.
Try letting go of your mouse and just press cmd-W... ;)

That said, I also liked it better with just the one button...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.