Firefox 2 is very buggy

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mfacey, Jun 24, 2007.

1. mfacey macrumors 65816

mfacey

I've been using Firefox quite some time now, but ever since they released version 2.x its been really buggy and quite annoying.
    One of the problems I'm having is that it doesn't render pages correctly. This can only be fixed by me relaunching the browser. (see attached image)

It also crashes randomly and occasionally just stops responding making use a Force quit to close it.

Is this just my copy or are more people having these problems? Recent updates don't seem to have helped much either. :mad:

Attached Files:

2. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

u need a new installation of firefox with a new profile, I guarantee you with 95% confidence all the problem will go away.

be sure to back up your bookmatrks and password before u do so. and u will need to re-install extensions and themes.

3. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

If it doesn't work, do you have any reason not to switch to Camino? Its much faster and more mac-ish :)

4. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

If he uses Firefox's Live Bookmarks for his RSS then that's reason to stay with it I suppose.

Mind you I've just switched to using Camino and although I sorely miss my live bookmarks, I'll get used to it.

In response to the question, Firefox seems to work mainly fine on my machine, yes it does occasionally just stop responding and shut itself down, but it does that on Vista as well as OS X. It's been stable enough for me to be using as my browser for the last 12 months until I started looking into something a little faster.

5. iz3r macrumors member

iz3r

6. mfacey thread starter macrumors 65816

mfacey

Safari is a great browser but until the vast majority of websites work on it I'm not going to bother. Its really annoying if you're in the middle of ordering something and it turns out that part of the process doesn't work in your browser. This was the main reason I switched to Firefox in the first place.

I'm posting from Camino now. Seems to be pretty decent, albeit not a snappy as Firefox. I'll try it for few days nonetheless...

7. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

Not as snappy? I've found it to be much quicker than Firefox is myself. But then it does open a lot faster than Firefox in the first place, might just be a placebo effect. :)

8. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

ppl, I will start to convert ppl who use safari to opera/firefox/camino next time I see a post about the problem of safari.:D

9. cube macrumors G5

My Firefox started rendering text badly some time ago so I switched to Safari until the problem goes away. I prefer FF.

10. brbubba macrumors 6502

brbubba

Yeah I was going to say, Camino is waaaay faster than FF.

OP, I have had similar problems since 2.X and am now using Camino full time. Safari is nice, but the beta is still buggy.

One remaining gripe about Camino is that I can't reorder tabs, but I guess I will live with it until FF 3 or Leopard.

11. lofight macrumors 68000

lofight

ì prefer Safari, even Safari " BETA, but still some websites i view with FireFox, and my FireFox 2 almost never crashes and never shows a page bad renderd..

12. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I agree with clevin here - most of the time, a corrupted Firefox profile is the cause of such issues. Your Firefox profile is located in ~/Library/Application Support/Firefox.

13. brbubba macrumors 6502

brbubba

I've done that about three times in the past. 1 corruption is understandable, 3 is insane. I do still have the intel only build of 2, just in case I need it. Camino has this annoying tendency not to identify itself as a major browser so banking and other secure sites get mad.

14. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

thats strange, I haven't been have any corrupted profile for years. maybe do a disk repair, or permission repair?

15. rxl125 macrumors regular

How do you backup passwords?

16. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

there are two files in your profile folder, they are called:
    signons2.txt
    and
    key3.db

copy them out, done.