Firefox 29 Is Out!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Michaelgtrusa, Apr 29, 2014.

1. Partron22 macrumors 68000

Partron22

Ugly little house icon I have to put up with, instead of the word home, and space isn't really at that much of a premium that they have to make the forward button disappear when there is no forward. Looks far more tablety, but I guess I endured bulbous iMacs and everything else in 2000-2004; fashion moves on.

Still works pretty well though.

2. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

The tabs on top thing in Firefox 29 makes me crazy. And a big NO THANKS to Mozilla that one would have to apply an extension to fix that, instead of just toggling a preference.

What were they thinking? Tabs on top may be someone's idea of logical but it's not mine. I spent a couple hours with it, and it's a no fly zone for me. There's a newish extension, but I'm not a fan of testing newish extensions in a browser I use when I shop or bank.

So I'm here at the moment via Safari, which I have not used in years. Naturally I'm having trouble deciphering the preferences and getting my brain off autopilot as far as where buttons are and what they do. Hah, I went to open a new tab and ended up sticking the current weather page into "Reading List." Okay then, time to pay attention, or at least get some more coffee.

Trying to look on the bright side. Maybe I will like Safari once I get my bookmarks into it and customize the toolbar a little bit. :)

On the other hand, maybe I will resume shopping and banking by the old fashioned way: getting in the car and going to town. :mad:

3. phrehdd macrumors 68040

phrehdd

I have no problem with the use of tabs but I do have a problem with the idiotic trend of form over function.

It is one thing to make the tab on a page being viewed stand out from other tabs but instead, they insist on making back tabs with font colour that is faded. In short, back tabs are harder to read than in FF than the last version of the software. This trend of smaller fonts and not black (or bold) or at least the option is pretty much becoming universal among IDIOT designers.

While Safari doesn't do everything I want, I think FF will soon be a thing of the past on my computers. - This is sad for me since I have used FF since the early days.

4. SCOLANATOR macrumors 6502a

SCOLANATOR

I was actually complaining about FF taking up too much space and that they should utilise the top bar the other week. I'm really happy with it, only not so keen on the new 'menu' if you would call it that.

I just went back to Safari and FF was eating my battery. It's great and I use it on my Windows partition but on OSX it's not the most efficient browser.

I just really really wish I could use the 'Youtube HD' extension, why oh why doesn't Youtube/Google give me the option to choose 1080P by default? Why do they insist on making me click it for every video? I can't find a decent extension for Safari. Adblock is working a lot better now, it just doesn't work that great for embedded Youtube videos and the odd pop up. Aside from that I do like Safari on OSX.

5. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

Wow what a change. Going to take some getting use too! Not keen on using an add-on to keep my tabs on bottom, but better than the alternative. Change is always good for some and not so good for others.

Have already read the complaints. And they seem to be many. For the most part I have no problems with it. Just take me a day or two to get use to a few new things about it.

6. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Which add-on are you using? Maybe I will give it a try. I don't like the lightened background tabs either but at least having them on the bottom would help. i have messed around with the toolbar layout a little so that the blasted "menu" thing is the only thing left all the way at the right. That helps me with the substance of the rest of my objections.

Minor annoyance department: I don't know why they are using such clunky looking icons for functions and arrows... they look like they were made by children who were forbidden to use sharp pencils while designing.

7. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

Classic Theme Restorer. Then just play around in the Preferences to get it back to some what similar classic Firefox.

Attached Files:

8. Michaelgtrusa thread starter macrumors 604

Michaelgtrusa

9. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Thanks so much. Just by getting the tabs back on bottom, I can at least see what I'm doing. Later for the rest of the cosmetics. I really don't have time to rediscover Safari's possible virtues right now, so I'm extremely grateful for this add-on.

10. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I don't mind the new look or the tabs on top. I'm able to adapt to it well. I need to since I use it as my primary browser on Windows.

11. JoeG4 macrumors 68030

JoeG4

lol I've been using the beta of this for a little while in Windows.

The title bar is glitched for me :S

12. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

Lot of people unhappy everywhere. Forum boards at Mozilla are lighting up. This usually happens with big changes in a program, browser, etc. You just have to learn to adapt or look for other alternatives. I have played with it for the last few hours and have it to about 95% where I am completely happy with it. I can live with the part that is not 100%.

All the complaining will die down in a few days and life will move on with new things for people to complain about.:p

13. Partron22, Apr 30, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2014

Partron22 macrumors 68000

Partron22

Yes. What is not to love about that newly available "tilt open" command (in Developer toolbar) that lets me see this page in 3D perspective, as well as look at its backside.
    There's certainly plenty of weird stuff to look at w this release. I've little doubt some of it may eventually prove useful.

14. OLDCODGER macrumors 6502a

Since I use Omniweb for general work - using side-tabs, I find that ColorfulTabs addon ideal for Firefox, so the new tab layout is moot.

15. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Firefox 29 is going to make me start using themes again. I just want to know what idiot thought black tabs with a black font was a good idea for inactive tabs. I have to guess what tab I'm clicking.

16. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

It looks like Chrome. Not sure if I like this to be honest. There was nothing wrong with the previous design. If I wanted a Chrome-like design, I'd use Chrome.

17. 556fmjoe macrumors 65816

I tried the nightly build of FF 30 a few months ago and didn't like it either. I hate the trend of using symbols instead of words for menu buttons. Mozilla is far from alone in this. It's idiotic that I have to sit there and figure out what three little horizontal lines means, and if that's different from the squiggly looking thing, etc. Just put a word there that tells me what it is.

18. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

^^ Yes, I was very happy to realize that not only could I get my tabs back on the bottom (and move around some navigation icons to my preference) but could also turn on "icons and text" in the Classic Theme Restorer add-on. I'm going to send that developer some money, I'm so grateful.

19. dcains macrumors regular

My only issue with FF29 is that links in email don't open in FF. For example, with FF not running, I click on a link in a new email (received in Maverick's Mail). FF opens, but only to a blank page. If I click that link again in the email, a new tab opens in FF and that link opens in that tab. Alternatively, I can have FF open first, to a blank page, and the email link will open properly. Any ideas how to fix this minor annoyance?

Never happened in FF28, and doesn't happen if I delete FF29 and reinstall FF28. Reinstall FF29 and the issue returns. Thanks in advance.

20. bwat47 macrumors regular

They aren't really any harder to read than safari's tabs which are dark grey on grey

----------

Its not even *that* different from the previous default layout, they just moved the firefox menu button to the toolbar, moved bookmarks button out of the addressbar and combined it with the bookmarks button, and made the firefox menu tile based and customizable (which is *completely* different from how chrome's menu is designed, only similarity is the menu icon itself).

All of this 'omg firefox 29 is a chrome clone stuff!' is just silly, its not. curved tabs does not make something a clone of google chrome.

21. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

And if you just use the preferences + about:config, it is more or less the same GUI as in FF 3.x.x. The normal GUI (tabs and so on) in FF >= v29.x.x is not that important, as long as the core is faster, better and has more or less the same GUI.

22. sk1wbw Suspended

sk1wbw

The tabs on top thing renders this browser completely unusable. It can’t render html or anything anymore. Nothing loads anymore. I think the tabs on top is the culprit.

23. Sital macrumors 68000

Sital

Why? Because that's the most visible change? :confused:

24. steve-p macrumors 68000

steve-p

The add-on Classic Theme Restorer can undo most if not all of the differences, for those of us who really don't like some of the arbitrary changes made as part of the redesign.