Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ltldrummerboy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 15, 2007
After upgrading to FF 3.0.3 recently, my 2.8 Ghz 2GB RAM iMac has been a bit unsnappy. I've since found that the firefox-bin process is using more and more RAM the longer the app is open. It's been over 400MB at one point. I've upgraded to 3.1b1 and haven't had any problems yet. Has anyone else experienced this problem?

indefatigable

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2008
I've just in general been having some random problems with Firefox. Honestly, I set Firefox to clear all data when quitting, and I quit and reopen often. Actually, I got into this habit in the last FF2 versions. On my husband's macbook (10.4), FF would even stop working (freeze) altogether.

Also, FF3 (I believe) caused my new imac (10.5) to crash very weirdly. There was some light flash on the site I was on, but nothing intense. I still don't know what happened, and it made me paranoid about spyware/malware, even though this is highly unlikely.

ltldrummerboy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 15, 2007
What's odd is that it was using that much memory even while all the windows were closed. Since Glims beta 9 I've seriously considered switching to Safari.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.