Firefox 3.0.5 slow to start?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Zalcitabine, Jan 23, 2009.

1. Zalcitabine macrumors newbie

Don't know whats going on but since about a month it takes about 30+ seconds between the moment i start Firefox and the moment it display my homepage (the browser window appear but stay blank all the time).

Once it's started though it's all fine. Safari in comparison starts in a couple of seconds. I have tried vaious firewall settings but it doesn't seems to help.

The only plug-in i have installed is Flip4Mac. My computer is the 2.0GHz aluminium MacBook.

Thanks for the help!

Z

2. Angelo95210 macrumors 6502a

Angelo95210

Yeah same for me... I have noticed it's very slow. No idea why and I haven't done any test...

3. PeteB macrumors 6502a

PeteB

I don't notice so much, except after re-boots.

I tend to keep my applications running on my MBP continuously and simply put it to sleep every night.

4. Keleko macrumors 68000

Yes, it starts slow. And since I leave it up after I start it, it doesn't really matter that much. Also it restarts faster after starting up from a reboot. It probably takes longer to start the more plugins you have. It loads pages faster than Safari does, though, so the one-time slow start is worth it. That may change when Safari 4 is released, though...

5. Prekesh macrumors regular

Prekesh

when i turn my macbook on yea, it takes like 30 seconds to load up fully. but after that, even if i quit, it opens within 2-3 seconds...strange..

6. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

All apps are slow on their first start up after a reboot or sometimes after a log out. This is because they are no longer in RAM, and must be fully loaded from the hard disk.

7. jc0481 macrumors regular

What I did to fix this issue. I downloaded an optimized Intel build from beatnikpad.com. That is one way. I already purchased Xslimmer which made it faster or if you don't want to do that you can try Trimmit. That is a free program but it works best with Cocoa apps not Carbon apps.

I would go with going to beatnikpad.com and getting the optimized builds.
    Hope that helps.