firefox 3.0 alpha5 (granparadiso) with aqua widgets by default from now on!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by clevin, Jun 8, 2007.

1. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

2. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

My current version of Firefox (2.0.0.4) seems to look exactly the same and i'm using the default skin.

Can someone point out the difference?:confused:

3. clevin thread starter macrumors G3

clevin

the difference is how the form, button, drop down menu, check box, radio buttons looks like.
    [​IMG]
    of course, more important changes like cocoa/cairo have been done long time ago, so I didn't mention them. and seems most ppl mainly complain how firefox's widgets aren't "mac-ish", they now have great improvement (still not completely tho)

4. Vinnie_vw macrumors 6502

hows the performance-difference between the two? Is FF3 faster?

5. dr_lha macrumors 68000

What I want to know is are they going to reduce the size of those huge tabs? Compare to Camino and Safari and you'll see what I mean.

6. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Firefox's tabs are dynamic - they reduce in size as more tabs are added to the page. When the number of tabs gets too large, Firefox adds a scroller to see more tabs. Safari, on the other hand, uses fixed-size tabs and adds a drop-down menu to see any tabs that won't fit.

7. clevin thread starter macrumors G3

clevin

I expect it to be, but not sure, FX 3 is written in cocoa, so should be more "native" to OSX, which theoretically should be faster. But the nightly build is now still in alpha, so I would preserve my evaluation for now.

LOL, I don't think so.
    BUT
    1. if u are talking about the height of the tabs:
    those tabs are easy to change, if u don't want to edit CSS, just go get a theme with smaller tabs( https://addons.mozilla.org/ ), such as these two:
    [​IMG]

2. if u are talking about width of the tabs
    get an extension called Tab Mix Plus, u can adjust alot of things about the tabs

fx also has a drop down button, its at the right end of the tab bar.

8. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

How do people who have been following FF3 feel overall? Nice?

P.S. for those of you asking about FF2, you can, if it's important to you, get more Aqua-esque widgets with specialized builds, for instance these processor optimized builds have Aqua looking widgets (but not using Cocoa).

9. clevin thread starter macrumors G3

clevin

it is exciting, I just have minefield nightly installed, and update it from time to time, its fun to see each change taking place.

10. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Looks very nice. I'll stick with BonEcho until the beta release.

11. dr_lha macrumors 68000

You're missing my point here. When I said they are too large, I mean they are too large in terms of their height and font size. To get what I'm saying, compare Safari, Camino and Firefox each with just 2 tabs open.

Safari tabs also resize the more you add, they're not fixed size.

12. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Oh, I thought you meant width, not height. I know what you mean now. :eek:

Well, I guess that shows my ignorance when I'm not at a Mac when I post :eek:

13. dr_lha macrumors 68000

I simply want them to change the tab size in the default theme. I know I can change the size of the tabs if I install a new theme, but that has its own set of issues involved with it (e.g. sometimes themes break when Firefox is updated). Its not a major issue I know, but its one I'd like to see fixed so that Firefox is a nicer Mac app out of the box and doesn't need to be modded to be so.

14. clevin thread starter macrumors G3

clevin

understood your point, but IMHO, this is one thing shows why firefox is flexible, end users always have different demands, and one single default setting can't meet the needs of all users, so themes/extensions come to save the day.

e.g. I, personally, find camino's tab is too tiny to operate. safari... how do I say, its tab really offers too few functions.

15. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

I use keyboard shortcuts to change tabs...so no problem there :)

16. paulbaker macrumors regular

uhhh

I cant seem to get the "Safari" style buttons to work. Mine looks just like plain ol FF........

17. clevin thread starter macrumors G3

clevin

did u download from the link I offered?

18. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

It's about freaking time. It only took them 5 years.

19. BollywooD macrumors 6502

BollywooD

after trying every browser imaginable, and using mainly the Camino nightlies for the last year, ive finally changed over to the new firefox alpha 3.0a7.
    so far so good!

im sick of ads, and adblock pro is the only thing which is customisable and works. PithHelmet seemed to slow Safari down far too much.
    :D

20. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

While we're on the topic of tabs...

I use FF2 at work on Windows. I would expect that double-clicking the icon on the left side of the tab would close the tab (just like how it closes a window) but that doesn't work. Do you guys expect the same behaviour or not? Has it changed in FF3?

21. defeated macrumors regular

no, only tab related double click function by default is to open a new tab by double clicking the free space at the tab bar. To close the tab by double click, you need extensions like "tab clicking options" or "TMP", etc..