Firefox 3.04 bookmarks problem

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Lershac, Dec 6, 2008.

1. Lershac macrumors regular

Hi all

I have a problem with Mozilla Firefox 3.04. Whenever I create a new bookmark, by any method, it replaces the address value with the an address that I visited in the recent past. And this address can change as time goes on, so the address value for the bookmark seems to be dynamic.

Any help?

Thanks

2. bobafifi macrumors newbie

Re: Firefox 3.04 bookmarks problem

I'm having the same problem. Anybody have a fix for this? Thanks!

3. plj macrumors newbie

Same bookmark problem in FF 3.0.5

I hit this issue when dragging a URL to the bookmark toolbar. I am using FF 3.0.5 on 10.5.5. All newly bookmarked items from a session are duplicates of the last one, and these cannot be moved or deleted. For me, the bookmark feature in FF is broken. Didn't see anything on this in bugzilla. Really could use a workaround for this.

4. nippyjun macrumors 65816

5. mostlyadj macrumors newbie

firefox bookmarks, ugh

i've been having the same problem for several weeks. but, i think i've found a roundabout way of working with it, albeit an obnoxious, and incomplete fix.

i noticed that the url's it had been taking me to instead of my desired bookmark destination had been recently closed windows, ads, or google toolbar searches. so, i decided to type my desired bookmark url into the google toolbar and search. i then opened up numerous tabs of the desired bookmark, and closed them. i then went to manage bookmarks, and added my desired bookmark, with the correct url. and without fail, it replaced my desired url with the google search results for the desired url. so, basically this just allows me to click my bookmark, and click the link to the desired url, rather than having to type the entire url.

there is a problem with this however. when i attempted to replicate this process with another bookmark, it switched the first one i did to the new attempt. so this fix only works for one new bookmark. needless to say, this is a bootleg fix, and it may not last, but at least i'm not having to type out the 25 character url for a while.

i'd love to know what is going on, and how to fix it permanently.

6. mostlyadj macrumors newbie

firefox bookmarks, ugh

an hour later and the bookmark quit working. it now points me to some ad. i am wondering if stumble upon has anything to do with the problem, because it changed the tags of the bookmarks to SU (StumbelUpon) and some other nonsense.

i've also tried to delete absolutely every shred of firefox from my hard drive, and reinstalling, but somehow it reloads all my bookmarks, and the problem persists.

i've also attempted to look at firefox forums, but every link that sounds promising is broken, or for some reason won't let me look at the forum.

ugh

7. bobafifi macrumors newbie

8. subunit23 macrumors newbie

I have the exact same problem as described by the OP. I wonder if this is not related to the fact I use FF3 on two different sessions at the same time. But still I have not found a fix. Tried to delete everything and to download again from mozilla website. Same problem. It is weird though because this does not happen for every bookmark. But still it makes the all bookmarking thing completely unreliable. I hope someone can find a fix.

My config : FF3, OSX 10.4.11

9. subunit23 macrumors newbie

Problem fixed

I had the problem fixed through mozilla people. They told me to close firefox, locate the file "places.sqlite", and rename it as "places.sqlite.old".

Then open firefox, type in the address bar : "about:config" and locate the following : browser.places.importBookmarksHTML

Make sure it is set to false, otherwise change it.

From now on, it works as expected

10. Lershac thread starter macrumors regular

Hallelujah! Thanks, mine was a bit more than that, had to delete a few additional files and not just rename em either.

But its fixed. THANKS!