Firefox 3.5.1 cannot play quicktime vids properly

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by gumbyx84, Jul 22, 2009.

1. gumbyx84 macrumors 6502

gumbyx84

I posted about this a while back, but it went ignored. I'm trying to try posting again as the problems still happens with FF 3.5.1 and I have a picture of the glitched video.

To explain the problem: Whenever I try and watch a Quicktime video in Firefox, the video starts to lag and then starts glitching. One second it will be ok then the next it will be artifacting and the colors will go nuts. I've attached a screenshot to show you guys what I'm talking about.

I have tried re-installing quicktime, re-installing firefox, and even removing the quicktime plugin from FF. Nothing seems to work. I cannot reproduce this problem with Safari 4.0 or Camino, so I have no idea what is going on. I'm trying to find out if anyone else has run into this issue, and if so, how where they able to fix it. I'm trying to get help here before I sending an email to Mozilla about the problem and filling out a bug report.

If anyone can help me out I would appreciate it. Its starting to bug me that I cannot find a solution to this.

Attached Files:

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Except for the fact that you say that you have a problem with QuickTime in Firefox 3.5.1, you have given zero (0) useful information:
    1. Which model Mac?
    2. Which version MacOS X?
    3. Which version QuickTime?
    4. Which format video?
    5. Which version codec installed?
    6. How much RAM?
    7. How large hard drive and how much free space?

3. gumbyx84 thread starter macrumors 6502

gumbyx84

Sorry. I was posting in a rush and forgot to add said info. Don't have to jump down my throat.....

There is your "useful information". Hopefully it will help others help me.

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

As has been stated on this forum many times, you should maintain at least 10% of your Mac's hard drive as free space. This allows the virtual memory system to work properly. That's why it matters.

You say that you have a MacBook Pro with only 80 GB hard drive space? Odd. The minimum capacity hard drive that shipped with that family of laptops was 200 GB. Are you sure that you don't mean that you have 80 GB free space. If this is the case, then you don't have a hard drive capacity problem.

5. gumbyx84 thread starter macrumors 6502

gumbyx84

Yes I mean 80+GB free. Installed 320GB drive not too long ago so space is not an issue (haven't deleted a bunch of videos I downloaded and do have bootcamp partition). I also know that it is not a hard drive issue. I have done research on this and other people have had the same issue. For some reason it happens only with Firefox and on Intel Macs.

Also, please stop talking down to me. I'm not sure if that is your intent, but you are def coming across that way to me and I do not enjoy it. I'm just asking for help.

6. ruinfx macrumors 6502a

dont have this problem. maybe try installing perian.

7. gumbyx84 thread starter macrumors 6502

gumbyx84

I have tried to reinstall it and the problem persist. I want to try and do a fresh Install of Quicktime (of a few versions back), but there is no real way to remove it from OS X.

8. gumbyx84 thread starter macrumors 6502

gumbyx84

Making a last ditch effort to ask for help. Anyone?