Firefox 3.5 and youtube HTML 5 test

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by kristoffer4, Sep 9, 2009.

1. kristoffer4 macrumors 6502a

kristoffer4

Hey why is it that firefox doesn't work with youtubes html 5 test page?
    http://www.youtube.com/html5
    Works fine in Safari 4. Is it because it is in H.264? Can you get a plugin that plays h.264 html 5 in firefox?
    I really hope html 5 replaces flash. :)

2. rerelease macrumors regular

I don't think FF3.5 does HTML5. Not sure about the nightly builds, though.

3. Iamtherealwoody macrumors 6502

Iamtherealwoody

Yes FF3.5 does adheres to HTML 5 video tags (see here). These are not defined standards, since no one could agree on a specific codec. Since it seems to work perfectly in Safari, I would assume it uses the H.264 codec which FF does not support, since it is not open source. FF only supports OGG codecs.

4. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

of course it does, partially

of course no browser does HTML5 fully, since HTML 5 is not final after all.

for OP

H.264 is not html5, video is not html5, for a definition of html5, go search wikipedia.

5. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Yea, it's an issue of the video format being used. HTML5 is still in draft for a while (as in years away from being completed, though won't take as long to be implemented by browsers) and the browser companies haven't come to any consensus as to what formats should be used/supported. What I found funny was that the page didn't work with Chrome 4 (Mac). Interesting that they did a demo that only Safari seems to be able to play.

6. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Then what's the new <video> tag for?

7. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

I simply meant video tag != html 5. Im sure you have no problem with that. do you?

With a title asking html5 compatibility, and the post is only about video tag, there is sure to be huge differences, isn't it?

Not to mention, without a code definition, video tag may well be useless in a long time.

8. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

I have no problem with that. But the new <video> tag is part of the HTML5 specification. In other words: video tag < html 5. I'm sure you have no problem with that, do you? ;)