Firefox 3.5 Bookmarks Search

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by drlevbk, Oct 26, 2009.

1. drlevbk macrumors newbie

I have Firefox 3.5.3 running on PowerPc iMac with OS 10.4.11.

When I search for a bookmark in "Organize Bookmarks" window, the found bookmark shows as 'location" the web address. However, it does not show the location of this bookmark in my bookmark tree. So I really can not find where this bookmark is located which was my problem in the first place. If this bookmark was misplaced in one of the folders I can not find it to move to the right spot.

Is there any way to find the real location of this bookmark with the search and in any other way?

Thank you.

2. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Unfortunately, it won't show you where the bookmark is hiding. I'd suggest this:
    Search for it so that it comes up as a Result, as you have done.
    Double-click it to open a new window to that web page.
    Go back to the Search Results and highlight that item, then control-click or right-click and select Delete.
    Now go back to the web page and Bookmark it again.
    This time, make sure you have it where you want it.
    Put it in the Bookmarks Menu, in a folder of your choice.

If you don't have the Bookmarks Toolbar in your Firefox window, make sure you do not save the new bookmark there! Maybe that's what the problem is with the misplaced one. You can click on Bookmarks Toolbar in the sidebar of the Organize Bookmarks window to see what was saved there.

3. drlevbk thread starter macrumors newbie

Firefox 3.5 Bookmarks Search

Gregg 2,

Thank you for very good and practical recommendation. I am going to deal with this issue exactly as you suggested.

However, is not it amazing that the Firefox bookmark search fails in the basic feature present in any search, even in the the Spotlight: to find the location of the item. It is as if Google search would result in a page with no web address, so that the only way to find it in future would be to search again and then again, and so on. Ridiculous!?

4. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Well, it finds the location of the page on the web for you, just not the location of the bookmark in your list. I agree that it should do both!