Firefox 3.5 is out

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by clevin, Jun 30, 2009.

1. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

This is same build as firefox 3.5 RC3.

download at www.mozilla.com

here is a review: http://mozillalinks.org/wp/2009/06/all-about-firefox-3-5-available-now/

highlight:

A new icon
    [​IMG]
    A new private mode.

forget about certain site:

forget about the last few hours, the day or everything.

default making the tab bar always visible.

The tab bar now sports a new tab button next to the last tab

Tabs can be dragged out of the current window into its own and dragged back if wanted.

restore recently closed windows and not only individual tabs as in previous versions.

Native <audio>/<video> support, it bundles Ogg Vorbis and Theora decoders

the support for the @font-face CSS attribute

Web designers get powerful CSS media queries

Support for color profiles introduced in Firefox 3 is now enabled by default.

Experimental support for CSS transformations and SVG effects for HTML elements.
    [​IMG]
    query selectors

Cross-site XMLHttpRequests support is back

Native JSON support

web workers

HTML 5 drag and drop

Geolocation

[​IMG]

Support for recent MacBooks’ multitouch trackpads Gestures can be customized via about:config:

[​IMG]
    Links to external resources such as JavaScript files or CSS files are now clickable when viewing a page source code.

A new session restore dialog now lets you select what windows and tabs you want to restore
    [​IMG]
    the ability to edit several bookmarks at a time

The themes have been very slightly updated

You can restrict suggestion in the location bar to history, bookmarks or tags only

Firefox update dialog windows are now more informative and show how long it will take.

Performance-wise, this release is significantly faster that Firefox 3 running web applications.

Places, the history+bookmarks database is now significantly faster due to several improvement to the querying.

In the accessibility front, Firefox 3.5 easying the task for people with visual disabilities.

Firefox 3.5 is available now in 68 locales for Mac OS X, Windows and Linux platforms

over 80% of add-ons are already compatible with Firefox 3.5

Firefox 3 retirement starts today at update number 11 (3.0.11), it will go out of support six months from now, on December 31, 2009.

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Hey wait, I thought Firefox 3.5 was at RC4, not RC3... good to know it's out though. Thanks! I'll definitely be updating.

3. clevin thread starter macrumors G3

clevin

no, there are only 3 RCs this time around.

Enjoy. :D

4. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

If it's the same build, is the final version compiled different? Or is it essentially the exact same binary as RC3? I'm not at home to compare sizes, checksums, etc.

5. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I'm guessing that it is a bit different, in that the welcome page is changed to the standard Firefox one instead of the "3.5 is coming" page you get with the RCs.

6. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

This release is dated June 24, 2009, the same as Firefox 3.5 RC3. The default page says that it is Firefox 3.5 Release Candidate [without a release candidate number]. It also says that the release version is coming. Suffice it to say, there is a bit of confusion afoot.

7. SpeedFleX macrumors 6502

I downloaded the new version but it displays on the top bar (Build 20090624912136)

8. clevin thread starter macrumors G3

clevin

They should be exactly the same. In fact, if you have RC3, I don't think you will be asked to upgrade at all.

9. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

Yup. I'm running RC3 and it says no new versions.

10. matt.pavelle macrumors newbie

Excessive CPU usage?

Hey all,

Hopefully on the topic of FF3.5 - anyone else experiencing abnormal CPU usage and such (without any extensions turned on)?

I had CPU issues with FF3.0, so I upgraded to 3.5 with RC1 and the problem was still present.

Odd thing is, I may have incidentally fixed it - I bumped up the disk cache from the default (something like 64M) to 512M and almost immediately the CPU usage dropped (watching iStat activity monitor) and then the CPU fan shut off.

Now I'm not exactly sure why the disk cache being reasonably small (not too small though) would cause a CPU problem - unless the CPU was constantly active swapping in and out of memory, but things are better now.

Anyone care to corroborate this?

BTW - I've got a MacBook Aluminum with 4G of memory...

-Matt

11. oilfighter macrumors regular

I can't say if I have abnormal CPU usage, but I did notice something weird.

I've observed temporary freezes on my mac. I would see the spinning color wheel for about 10~20 seconds, while Firefox becomes non-responsive. This has never happen to me before, and the only change i've made was upgrading to FF 3.5. The temporary freezes has happen 3 times or so in the past 8 hours.

12. matt.pavelle macrumors newbie

Intel Optimized FF

... and I just found this:

http://www.latko.org/downloads/

an Intel optimized FF - seems to make a world of difference for me on my MacBook Pro.

13. clevin thread starter macrumors G3

clevin

you might want to try a new profile for firefox.

14. clevin thread starter macrumors G3

clevin

15. Fireproof! macrumors 6502a

Fireproof!

I was excited for the update.

I am not excited to find out (after the install) that Google Gears doesn't work now. Ugh.

16. clevin thread starter macrumors G3

clevin

:), keeps both versions for now until the situation improves. So no need to download again later. If confirmed, this is a significant enough problem that will be addressed sooner than later by either mozilla or google.

just to add, browsing through the wiki of Gears, seems most, if not all of its features are now provided by firefox by default already, so we shall see if its necessary to use Gears at all.

17. DaveF macrumors 6502a

I'm looking forward to the upgrade, but not until the widgets I use are also upgraded.

18. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

This needs an about:config option to remove.