Firefox 3.5 RC2 out now!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by MacAndy74, Jun 20, 2009.

1. MacAndy74 macrumors 65816

Attached Files:

2. jon08 macrumors 65816

It's pretty slow on the launch. I used it for a couple of mins then I quit it. When I launched it again after about 45 mins or so, it would start bouncing in the dock for like 10-15 secs till it finally opened again. WTF? It's not like I opened it anew after a restart of the system. It should have opened right away since I had once launched it before today.

Until they improve that, I'll be forced to stick with Safari (to which I've recently switched from FF).

3. MacAndy74 thread starter macrumors 65816

How very peculiar.

Firefox 3.5 RC2 launches in about 14 seconds on my iMac G4. So I'm confused why Firefox takes that long to launch on your; much higher spec Mac :confused:

4. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Launches during the first bounce on mine, even right after the update.

5. jon08 macrumors 65816

I just restarted my Mac and tried Safari and FF for comparison. Safari opened and displayed my home page in 10 secs. Right after that I launched FF and it took 23 secs to do the exact same thing I performed on Safari earlier. Sh*tty.

6. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

I've used the FF performance hacks, so the screen is drawing the first page almost as fast as the window opens.

Hated the pre-hack, where the darn thing seemed soo laggy.

7. jon08 macrumors 65816

8. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I'm using the latest RC and sometimes it launches after one or two bounces, sometimes it takes 20. Has anyone found a fix for this?

9. reubs macrumors 68000

Seems alright here (first version of 3.5 I've run), but I've also culled a lot of extensions I've been running. I realized there were A LOT I outgrew/duplicated so I needed to clean that up. Seems alright, though, on my baseline 2006 MB.

I don't have "bouncing icon" on, but it opened in about 5 seconds just now. Not bad.

One more thing: why won't Cmd+W close the window when there are no tabs left open? Is that new?

10. buckeye17 macrumors member

Just downloaded it. The two-finger scrolling seems a lot better, working like Safari now. The three-finger back/forward works too. [Borat] IS NICE!! [/Borat]

11. ruinfx macrumors 6502a

its always been like that since the betas

12. buckeye17 macrumors member

Sorry, I was referring to Firefox 3.0 haha. I haven't used any of the 3.5's until now.

13. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

find another guy who close and open browsers just for fun, rather than surfing. Not to mention firefox uses much less memory for the long run, more or less reduce the necessity of restarting it.

safari is partially integrated into the system, of course it needs less more system allocation to start, what do you expect? IE open faster than any other browser on windows, how happy are you with that?

It really depends on the situation of the system at the time, but if the problem exist alot with the warm start, you might want to use a new profile to diagnose further, keep your old profile to fall back tho.

14. jon08 macrumors 65816

Yeah aight. You're talking as though FF wasn't a memory hog. Puhlease. It might eat up slightly less mem resources than Safari does, but still gets up to 300-400 MB after two hours or so of use.

And FYI, I don't close and open browsers just for fun, rather than having been forced to restart my system either due to a) wanting to play a PC game, so I had to switch to Bootcamp b) certain updates requiring a restart, and as a result had to launch browsers from scratch. Obviously I find it frustrating to be having to wait for Mr. Bulky, Mr. Bouncy Firefox take its 14-16 bounces (or 20-23 secs if you will) to open itself and furthermore being laggy, unresponsive that it can be at times.

I had been a long-time FF user until recently, when I finally decided that enough was enough, even though I love FF's interface, add-ons and functionality. But for the lightness and speed reasons I just decided to switch to Safari. And yeah, taking up 300 MB VS. 400 MB of RAM or whatever doesn't make a difference to me on a 4GB RAM MBP.

15. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

unless you are talking about firefox 2, your statement is not supported by all tests run by all parties with some level of name recognitions.

Its not 300 vs 400MB

its 150 vs 400MB or 200 vs 600MB

and thats only memory. Users found themselves losing up to 6G HDD space because safari 4 beta, and there is a question that safari 4 might not fix that in final neither.

I have no problem whatsoever about which browser whoever choose to use.

But I do always respond, firefox has its weaknesses on mac, system integration is a big one, for whoever think its important. But to make suggestions, like somebody above did, to just "use safari", does annoy me, what if I goto every safari problem thread and suggest "just use firefox"? Its ridiculous and absurd.

If that happens, sorry I have to throw out a facts based arguments, I have a laundry list of what firefox does far better than safari. I m glad to share them with whoever want to compare.

16. jon08 macrumors 65816

No, I was talking about Firefox 3.5 (well not RC2, but I think it was either RC1 or one before that). I have already witnessed it take up 350-400 MB of memory.

Btw, I don't know how those people "lost" 6GB disk space. And besides, that was Safari 4 Beta, as you said. The point is, although I'd love to go back to FF, yet it simply keeps preventing me from wanting to. Thus, I rather stay with Safari.

Well, I totally agree with you on this one. Such posts are unnecessary and pretty stupid. It wasn't me who made one of those posts tho. I was simply expressing my opinion about the latest FF update, which still hasn't pleased my needs - system integration still being quite of an issue.

17. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

if you are a long time firefox user, its likely that the profile is cluttered or partially corrupted through all the upgrade, over the years firefox has undergone quite a few restructure of the profile to improve the security and stability, unfortunately, sometimes that may cause problems.

but even without above mentioned scenario, if you still have it and willing to give firefox a try, the best thing to do is to remove the old profile, which is located at ~/Library/Application Support/Firefox ("~" means your username)

I don't know if you still have anything in the firefox profile you want to preserve, if you do, then you should just rename that folder rather than delete it. if you find new profile indeed solve the problem, then you can export passwords, and install addons to the new profile.
    I understand that. I do want to apologize for any bad feeling my old post might have caused. I was just totally p*ssed with that single line post. I guess I need some escape! thankfully, Transformer 2 is coming right up :)

18. jon08 macrumors 65816

Perhaps I'll just make a clean install of FF and see if that fixes anything. (I assume that will remove my old profile, too?)

19. rerelease macrumors regular

Looks like they pimped the app icon.

Attached Files:

20. ruinfx macrumors 6502a

yea i noticed that. it looks different on windows too.

21. windywoo macrumors 6502a

windywoo

Even on my iBook G4 Firefox doesn't take 23 seconds to load.

22. jon08 macrumors 65816

It takes me about that long on the first launch only... how long does it take you then?

23. windywoo macrumors 6502a

windywoo

If I am only opening 1 tab it takes about 15 seconds. More than one tab and ofc it gets longer.

24. jon08 macrumors 65816

I just installed it anew. On the first launch (after restart) it opened in 8 secs. How nice is that! Now we shall see what happens after a couple of add-ons have been installed + bookmarks imported...

25. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

no, it does NOT.