Firefox 3.5b4 is insanely fast!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by badlydrawnboy, May 8, 2009.

1. badlydrawnboy macrumors 65816

I just installed FF 3.5b4 and it's insanely fast. It seems to be much faster than Safari 4 beta. Is this your experience too? Have they been compared?

2. ZDDP1273 macrumors 6502

FF has been way faster for me too compared with Safari. I was hesitant to switch over to the Beta at first because I wanted to do the multi-touch gestures for going forward and back, but Safari wasn't performing well with those. I'm glad I was able to switch over. I'm liking it a lot better. It's quicker.

3. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

firefox 3.5 beta 4 actually support the multi-touch gestures, and I heard it supports more type of gestures than safari.

4. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

cool. multiclutch works fine for me though

5. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

placebo effect. There is no way you're going to be able to tell the difference in speeds of any of the modern browsers these days. They all execute javascript extremely fast, it really doesn't matter anymore which one executes it the fastest.

6. badlydrawnboy thread starter macrumors 65816

After using it more I've noticed that the speed is variable. Safari is faster with some sites, FF with others. Overall it's probably a draw.

7. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

this is quite true, the browser speed depends on so many issues. and modern browsers collectively dont do much differently in terms of speed.

However, many issues (clean profile, small hiccups here and there in the system) and uncertainty (server handling different browsers, dns handles different browsers, etc) also exist in each individual's computer, its not impossible for somebody to find one browser somewhat faster than the other in some cases.

8. Catfish_Man macrumors 68030

Catfish_Man

Actually there's still rather significant speed differences between browsers in many places. The javascript engines are close, but DOM bindings, layout, style resolution, etc... are still quite varied.

9. throttlemeister macrumors 6502a

DNS does not handle browsers. DNS requests are made by the OS IP stack, not the applications.

10. Aronnax macrumors regular

11. throttlemeister macrumors 6502a

And your point is? The browser still does not make DNS requests to any DNS servers. The browser just passes the request to the OS, which handles it. Just because it wants more, does not mean it is doing it itself.

12. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

are you aware of a safari problem that is rare but does happenes multiple times here? where safari couldn't reach servers?

safari is passing the request to OS, but My impression is that firefox has part of all of the process handled by itself.

Also about his point, if firefox preftech DNS info before you click it, then when you click it, the time for dns resolve will be eliminated or minimized.

13. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

3.5? I'm still using 3.0.10

whats with the 3.5 beta...for mac?

14. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

15. EmperorDarius macrumors 6502a

16. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

Hey Clevin,

if I put FF 3.5b4 and I have FF3.0.10 already: How do I keep FF 3.5b4 overwriting FF 3.0.10 app? :confused:

17. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

rename your firefox 3.0.10 from "firefox" to something else, such as "firefox 3.0.x"

alternatively, you can just put them in different folders.

18. MAC-PRO-DEMON macrumors 6502a

MAC-PRO-DEMON

Yeah... I am loving it!!

I always have these tweaks done though.. so that may be influencing it... also, I have really fast broadband... so that may also be an influence...

[​IMG]

J