Firefox 3.6.3 runs slower the longer it is running

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mindquest, Apr 22, 2010.

1. mindquest macrumors regular

My iMac:
    Firefox (3.6.3)
    27" iMac 2.8 quad core i7
    12gb of memory running
    OS/X ver. 10.6.3

DSL: 6 mbps/768 Kbps
    Hardwired DSL modem connected to iMac via ethernet cable

The iMac is screaming fast except for the Firefox app, the longer I run it the slower my internet is. I have tried disabling the plug-ins as well going to Preferences=>Privacy and setting "Remember my browsing history for at least" to 5 days.

This hasn't really helped. I have confirmed that the DSL is running properly, even had a AT&T tech out to confirm it.

I am new to MAC so any help would be appreciated!

2. mindquest thread starter macrumors regular

I just switched out my ethernet cable and modem but still experiencing slowness, any thoughts appreciated!

3. Vogue Harper macrumors 6502

Vogue Harper

Firefox 3.6 definitely seems to have a memory leak problem for some users - there's quite a few reports on Mozilla's own bug reporting forum. Keep an eye on how much memory Firefox is using by running Activity Monitor. On my MacBook with 2GB RAM it very often goes up to 700MB memory usage (I've seen it go over 1GB) after a day's use, after which it becomes completely unresponsive and I have no option but to close it down and restart again. It also places massive strain on CPU and the fan which runs on maximum when Firefox gets itself into this state.

I've had to ditch Firefox until they resolve this problem and moved back to Safari - not ideal but at least Safari does not have the same awful memory leak problem that Firefox does.

4. mindquest thread starter macrumors regular

Vogue,

Thanks for chiming in!! I am having the same problem where the memory usage keeps rising through out the day, I have had it over 1GB on two occasions. Anyone who has a fix it would be great to hear!

5. Caleb531 macrumors 6502

Caleb531