Firefox 3.6 alpha.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by thepawn, Aug 8, 2009.

1. thepawn macrumors 6502

thepawn

I have not seen a post here, so I don't know if anyone else is running it.

I have an issue with Firefox 3.6 alpha (both a1 and a2) that I can't seem to crack so far - it won't successfully run any Java apps.

Safari and FF3.5 run Java just fine, so I know the system is okay.

I've got the JavaEmbedded plugin 0.9.7.2 running, and the plugins show up in Firefox...basic tests even say "java supported", but when it comes time to execute an applet - nothing happens. It fails to trigger java, console doesn't even open, nadda.

Does anyone know if JavaEmbedded plugin is now busted for 3.6?

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Now I'm usually snarky when people post, "You should go to xxx forum instead" posts, but in this case, since you're talking about an Alpha build, I wonder if this belongs as a Mozilla bug report? A quick search shows that there is currently some discussion of the Linux version of at least 3.6a1 segfaulting on launch of Java applets... but I didn't immediately find an associated Moz bug ticket.

3. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

its early stage test build, its very normal to have bugs here and there. its better to stick with 3.5.2 for productivity.

4. BobZune macrumors 6502a

It IS an Alpha version -- and it isn't called Minefield without a reason. ;)

[Java doesn't work on Aplha2.]

5. thepawn thread starter macrumors 6502

thepawn

Thanks for pointing out the obvious guys... :) I know its an alpha build (notice the "alpha" in the post title) and I already posted a bug request in bugzilla ( https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=504508 )...

There isn't a whole lot of chatting out there about Firefox 3.6 on the Mac, hence the whole point of this post was to talk to other mac users who may have installed it, had the same problem and maybe found a solution while running the alpha. Other technical mac users like myself who will tinker with it... :) That's what this forum is for isn't it?

6. thepawn thread starter macrumors 6502

thepawn

...and in case any of you are curious:

Lower = Faster

iCab 68
    Stainless 70
    Safari 4 71
    Shiira 72
    OmniWeb 161
    Chromium 160
    Firefox 3.6a1-latesttracemonkey 194
    Firefox 3.5.2 218
    Firefox 3.6a2 233
    Opera 10.00b2 263
    Opera 9.64 297
    Caminbo 2beta 460
    Camino 1.6.8 532

(http://celtickane.com/labs/web-browser-javascript-benchmark/)

The new WebKit stuff is pretty impressive.

If only Safari or Shiira offered some real flexibility on cookie control (all or nothing is not cookie management) and adblocking without resorting to hacks, iCab has some, but its still not as flexible as FF and costs $20....so instead I live in Firefox so I can have my plugins, and yes, I have all of those browers installed. :D