firefox 3 and 3-finger multitouch compatibility

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by groovetrain, Oct 17, 2008.

1. groovetrain macrumors newbie

Has anyone figured this out? In safari, you can use the new 3-finger multitouch gesture to go forward and backward, but I noticed in Firefox, it does nothing. Has anyone figured this out?

I'll post if I find it.

groovetrain

2. Empyre macrumors member

I just noticed the same thing and was kinda bummed out but I'm sure it has to do with the software itself. Gonna go with that firefox hasn't incorporated that feature. But if anyone does find out a way to make it work I would love to hear about it also

3. groovetrain thread starter macrumors newbie

There is this little app called MultiClutch that's been posted here in macrumors before that maps multitouch gestures to keystrokes in specific apps, but there has to be a more elegant solution out there. Maybe there's a firefox extension, or maybe just editing the config file for firefox.

groovetrain

4. ruinfx macrumors 6502a

what do you mean more elegant? multiclutch lets you do what you said in your first post. ive been using it for months now and havent looked back.

5. Empyre macrumors member

Probably elegant in the effect that you dont have to install 3rd party software to fix the solution

6. ruinfx macrumors 6502a

really doesnt seem much different than a firefox add-on to me. multiclutch is just a preference pane.

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

The software needs to be coded to work with multitouch.

8. Empyre macrumors member

anyone know if there is a firefox add on that codes firefox to support the multi-touch?

9. groovetrain thread starter macrumors newbie

I think what he was saying is that the software itself has to be coded with multi-touch in there. Safari for the mac is, Firefox isn't.

I think I'm gonna try multiclutch

groovetrain

10. valvehead macrumors regular

You can't get much more elegant than MultiClutch. I installed it as soon as I got my MBP back in March. It works perfectly. Having all the global and application-specific settings in a single pref pane is really handy.

For Firefox I mapped the three-finger swipe to fwd/back, two-finger rotate to next/previous tab, and two-finger pinch to zoom in/out.

11. Empyre macrumors member

I'll have to check that software out, sounds like it universally solves the problems!