Firefox 3 Beta 2

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Mr.PS, Feb 10, 2008.

1. Mr.PS macrumors 6502a

I've been using this on windows and OSX for a few months. It uses 1/4 the memory that 2.2 uses. It's also faster and I love the new url bar. It's pretty stable outside of a few content-type errors here and there (usually on improperly configured websites/forums. Other then that it's solid, even on OSX.

I'd advise anyone looking to save 500+mb of memory to check it out.

Note: certain plug ins do not yet work with 3 beta 2, so if you need firebug or the web developer tool bar you might want to stick with 2.2.

2. XianPalin macrumors 6502

XianPalin

I tried it out for a bit on my Windows box at work, but I'd occasionally run into weird problems. The main problem was it seemed to randomly cause screen redraw problems - I would have to drag a window off the screen to get it to update. Only a reboot fixed the problem.

My copy on Mac worked out fine, I think I just missed a few extensions.

3. kuwisdelu macrumors 65816

I'm using beta 2 right now. I think it's great! It seems to run a lot faster than 2.2 for me, and webpages load a lot faster. About half of my extensions don't work with it yet, but they're all the ones I don't really use anyway. Are you guys using the OS X Proto skin on it? It looks so much better, I think, and now I don't have to look for Mac-looking skins anymore.

4. Mr.PS thread starter macrumors 6502a

I don't use any skins, I've never really had a reason too. It's very fast though, you're right!

5. kuwisdelu macrumors 65816

Well, Proto isn't really a normal skin; as the name means to suggest, it's the work in progress of the new default skin for OS X, but it hasn't been implemented as the default in the beta 2 download yet. I think it looks great, very Mac.

6. reubs macrumors 68000

I'm interested in trying out this beta, but I don't want to lose all of my current FF settings. Is there a way to save my current settings and upgrade to the beta, therefore having my currents available in case something goes awry?

7. snakedoctor macrumors member

I use the nightly builds, called minefield. They froze on the 30th which means FF 3.0 Beta 3 is very close. I read that this coming Thursday its come out....at 5pm PST.

Proto is gone in my builds. Its not the default theme and not an add-on.

FF 3.0 is going to be "The" OS X web browser in terms of speed, webpage compatiblity and features like BOOKMARK SORTING (HELLO APPPLE).

8. kuwisdelu macrumors 65816

What kind of settings do you mean? Do you use a lot of extensions? Other than that, all of my settings stayed in place. I just downloaded it and installed it over Firefox 2, and Firefox 3 Beta 2 seemed to leave all the settings in place and used them as before. All my bookmarks are still there and in my toolbar, and the same options checked in Preferences. If you mean those settings, you should have nothing to worry about. If you have a lot of extensions and themes, however, lots of them may not be compatible. They will still be there, though, you just won't be able to use them.