Firefox 3 Beta 3 vs Safari

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by CANEHDN, Feb 23, 2008.

1. CANEHDN macrumors 6502a

CANEHDN

Have you guys tried Firefox 3 Beta 3 yet? Looks great and holy crap it's fast. From a couple tests just by myself with loading pages, Firefox is loading them faster. Seems like this new release may be my new browser of choice for the Mac.

2. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

if you consider firefox 3 beta 3 fast, wait for beta 4 and final.

I observed significant speed improvement (javascript, reading history, page loading, etc) and app snappiness after the beta 3 frozen day.

The most significant difference between safari and firefox, is still system integration vs functionality. which isn't likely to change with firefox 3 ( I read something about firefox 3 using OX keychain, but no progress reported yet).

3. riscy macrumors 6502a

riscy

I have used FF 3.0 beta for months now and love it, but have gone back to 2.0 cos of the add-on compatibility problems.

I have never used Safari, so I can't compare them, sorry.

4. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

As im beta testing Radon,id thought id try testing javascript on
    both firefox 3 & safari and only found firefox to be a couple
    of ms faster than safari

5. CANEHDN thread starter macrumors 6502a

CANEHDN

Where we are in software development, a couple ms is great. The one feature of Safari I like better is the find feature.

6. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

we need to talk about percentage, not absolute quantity, there are numerous javascript tests out there.

Recently pretty acclaimed test is the one "real world test" developed by webkit project.

in which, Firefox 3 yesterday's nightly is 2.1X faster than safari 3.0.4 (6000ms v 13000ms).

It should be kept in mind, tho, like I mentioned in other posts. Javascript speed is not the whole internet experience. especially when all these tests run a common script for 10000+ times in order to measure the difference. The result should be put into prospective.

Im more impressed with the speed of loading page content, as well as "instant" display when using back/forward in fireox 3. Its great.

ALso the app is so much snappier, probably because its a cocoa app now, I haven't seen beach ball in months, app never lost response, and almost never crash (and Im using nightly build!) Its simply impressive.

7. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

Been using sunspider how does that stack up?

8. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Its very nice, but no Safari, and it won't be replacing Camino as my secondary browser any time soon due to its huge start-up time.

9. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

a pic for this, I wouldn't call +/- 2000ms a big difference, however, this is indeed a significant difference in the pic.

Attached Files:

10. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

If we are comparing why not compare it to Safari 3.1 as it is supposed to bring a lot of speed increase in this regard.

Although not many people have it. The results from webkit though are faster than Firefox 3B3

4832.0ms

Picture 3.png

11. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

I do NOT think the browser speed can be equal to javascript speed. The previous discussion in news board about the changes in webkit was mi-titled and did not give users correct impression.

yeah, it is faster than firefox 3 nightly, with no real world impact. lol

And thats why I suggested those guy who are working on that radon browser to use webkit, instead of safari.

I do not think 1000~2000ms difference in sunspider test can impact user's experience in any measurable way. (ppl at Mozillazine implied more to come in the javascript performance of firefox 3, but I don't think, at this stage, it should be an top priority anymore, still, we can do more comparison when both final versions out)

However, safari' reading cache in many cases is mysteriously slow.

Other than that, It goes back to my original opinion, its still OS integration v. functionality.

I don't expect hardcore Firefox ppl or safari will change, since they have essentially customized their browsers to "best fit" already.

But I do think firefox 3 will be a very significant update for its users.
    PS. whats the number you get for firefox 3 nightly on your machine? Im testing it across all the platforms, and there seems to be several thing affecting the outcome. Network, CPU, etc...

12. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

Your views about us tester's using webkit have been noted, you mention final
    versions,any guess when this might be?

13. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

safari 3.1 still has no public beta yet, and apple does not release product according its readiness, I would imagine it should be out in 2~3 months. maybe with 10.5.3 of leopard.

Firefox will have another beta before final. I would imagine firefox 3 will go with cairo 1.6, which is not ready yet (will be in 1 month, i think). The UI is still undergoing tweaking, still hundreds of bugs away from final. Extensions are being updated and needs some time a well.

In all,, I expect beta 4 in 1~2 month, final version in 2~3 months.

14. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Wow you changed your tune somewhat in the edit there.

What makes you think that apple will come out with a public beta for Safari 3.1.

Firefox 3B3 Sunspider 8677.6ms.

Any I just had to log out and log back in again so it should have an advantage over the previous test of webkit. Pretty big difference.

15. Aranince macrumors 65816

I've been using Beta 3 on Windows XP since it's release. Its been very stable and fast. There really is no reason not to use it. All of my add-ons work. Adblock, Sharaholic, and Download Statusbar.

Check out my blog for a review of the new features :cool:

16. Pees330 macrumors 6502

I have been using the Webkit nightly build and it's been working pretty good for me. There are definitely some bugs, but nothing I can't work around.

17. lofight macrumors 68000

lofight

Bert interesting thread! I have testes ff 3 bèta and i like of much more than 2. I like the new look but maybe a little bit too much eye candy... Some UI bugs and i haven't found a way to import Safari bookmarks. Also some very easy features that Safari doesn't have.

18. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

well, firefox 3 beta 3 was frozen during the javascript improving process, head to ftp.mozilla.org and get a latest nightly trunk. let me know the numbers.

Well, I just want to present a coherent message. which can be tracked back to my related posts in many different discussions involving safari3, 3.1, webkit and firefox 3 beta, trunk, etc.

More importantly, I made my argument based on the logic and reasoning I experienced using all type of browsers. I sure welcome any discussion with substance. Which I always expect from you, :D

I do not know if apple will hand out a public beta, but they did hand out 3.0 beta, so I sure expect same for 3.1. Not to mention that developing behind the closed door is not a good idea anyway. Safari for windows' "secure from day 1" was embarrassed in 48 hours, classic example for not observing whats happening in the outside world.

19. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Safari 3 was released as a beta partly because it was a pretty big update and partly to quell the anger about Leopard delay, thats how I see it. Taking this on I really don't think it will go to public beta. The windows boasting was always bound to fail, wish apple would stop boasting all the time just makes it look worse when things like that come out.

I keep trying Firefox and other browsers but keep coming back to Safari. I want to try them out and am not loyal to Safari, however I fail to find features that actually benefit me on a day to day basis by switching to other browsers.

What I really need is for someone to sit me down and walk me through the features that may benefit me.

I just love the integration with OS X that Safari.

I am willing to accept the bugs in Firefox 3B3 and really like the new interface.

Numbers just in 4982.2ms so the same as Webkit.

20. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

like I said, I dont think javascripts speed will be an issue when firefox 3 and safari 3.1 both out.

I do like your attitude approaching this issue. Hardcore users aside, ppl who cares (or who want to discuss this issue; lol) should try all options out from time to time, like whenever new version released. Today's browsers are all small to download, easy to install anyway.

21. methodmano macrumors member

If I could get Firefox 3 Beta 3 to stop crashing, I'd entertain using it. It's typically very fast, but has some bugs that need to be worked out. As another poster mentioned, compatibility is an issue too.

22. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

try a new profile, firefox 2's profile sometimes (not in my case) can cause problem for firefox 3.

You can preserve bookmarks and passwords tho.

23. forgottensoft macrumors regular

I would have to give the edge to Safari (Mac version, not windows). I think the next release of Safari will include a new version of webkit. I use the nightly builds of the new web kit and it is very fast. I also use Firefox b2. It is nice, but as many say it crashes a lot. Opera is a very good browser, but its UI is a bit hard to get used to.

Overall, Safari gets my nod. Assuming we are talking about Safari 3, not 2.

24. Dreamer2go macrumors 6502a

how come I can't load wii.ign.com's flash content...(the main page) if I'm using firefox beta 3?
    it's still a huge problem -__-

25. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

I tried the Firefox 3 beta and I admit I was VERY impressed. They claimed all kinds of OS X streamlining and integration with version 2, but I was very disappointed. Firefox is always installed on my machine for certain sites, but I never use it otherwise. With 3, it actually looks good and runs well. Bravo to the developers. Can't wait for the final!