Firefox 3 RC2 + 10.5.3 = Total crash

Discussion in 'macOS' started by /dev/toaster, Jun 9, 2008.

1. /dev/toaster macrumors 68020

/dev/toaster

I finally got around to updating my girlfriends MBP to Leopard. With a fresh install, I updated everything then installed Firefox 3 RC2.

Shortly after running the browser, it locked. It locked so hard I couldn't kill -9 it, or kill it in activity monitor. To make matters worse, I couldn't restart. I was forced to power down the machine.

My MBP is running 10.5.2 and FF 3 RC2 and I have no trouble. However, a few co-workers are also having the same trouble with RC2. Has anyone else had this trouble ?

2. /dev/toaster thread starter macrumors 68020

/dev/toaster

3. mckyvlle macrumors 6502a

Hmm... Scary bug! I haven't encountered it before. (Touch wood!) Using Firefox 3 RC2 and 10.5.3 here.

4. wallaby macrumors 6502

wallaby

There was your problem.

5. ert3 macrumors 6502a

ert3

BEATS THE LIVING CRAP OUT OF A WOODEN CHAIR.

CHAIR RETURNS THE FAVOR.

Ack splinters. glad this has not happened to me but hey at least they know about it and will probably include this in the final release.

6. jwayneC macrumors newbie

jwayneC

I Experienced the same issue with Firefox 3 on my MacBook2,1,Intel Core 2 Duo(2.2 GHz), 2.0 Ghz Memory.
    After using it for about one week it crash off the machine two times, at first it totally froz up and then I have to hard reboot. It really piss me off :mad:from Mozilla
    that it's such a great browser.
    Soution: Get rid off the 3.0 and keep it up with the 2.0 version, so far the most stable. We will see what are the guys from Mozilla going to do about this.

later

7. burningrave101 macrumors 6502

FireFox 2.0 sucks compared to the newer and faster FireFox 3.0. You might as well stick to using Safari unless you just really need the extensions available for FireFox. You could also try Opera 9.5 which I've been using lately as well. If you want to get rid of something get rid of 10.5.3 and go back to 10.5.2 until Apple releases 10.5.4. At the moment I can't even get the 10.5.3 update to install even if I wanted it to.

8. jwayneC macrumors newbie

jwayneC

How do you know that Firefox 2.0 sucks at all. You are only speaking from your personal experience, but not from proven technical facts.
    According to
    http://arstechnica.com/journals/appl...-no-theyre-not

''Mozilla's developershave traced the problem back to an Apple bundle called VerifiedDownloadPlugin that was initially introduced in Mac OS X 10.4.7 and is thought to be part of a Dashboard widget validation system of some kind. As a result of changes made by Apple in 10.5.3, dynamically loading this library can cause the system to hang or crash. Songbird product manager Daniel Raffel has already informed Apple's senior vice president of software engineering, who says that Apple is investigating the issue.''

Like I said before until they don't sort out the solution to fix this bug either from Apple or Mozilla, As ACDT Apple certified I recommend to use Firefox 2.0 with Fasterfox which will give you same speed to browse as with the 3.0.
    Although you'd rather stick with Opera which is not very commercial.:apple:

9. Xavier macrumors 68020

My Firefox 3 beta RC2 works just fine. Very fast, and pretty reliable for a beta

10. Amdahl macrumors 65816

RC3 has a workaround to the bug in 10.5.3. And Firefox 3.0 is officially out Tuesday, I hear.

11. AnalyzeThis macrumors 6502

I noticed wierd stuff with Firefox 2.0.014 on 10.5.3 as well

I singled out on firefox 2.0.0.14 on 10.5.3. It could lock Safari and it will prevent mac from shutting down or reboot. But it only happens when it is run for the first time and goes through the series of prompts. I have to force shutdown with power button after my mac was sitting for over 3 minutes. After this, it seems not to cause any issues, untill...other user will try to run it for the first time. Fortunately it is usually 2 users on my macs.

Also, it seems not to cause any issues on prior 10.5.1 release.

Apple seems to tighten up some stuff, so firefox is not well for now. And it seems it is even worse going forward. One may think it is issue with 10.5.3, but not so fast, please. 10.5.3 may just fixed bug that was exploited or unnoticed by firefox.

Will hope mozilla or Apple team resolves these issues.

12. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

no, this is not a bug fix, this is a new bug at apple's end, firefox did the workaround in final firefox 3, but fundamental problem has to be fixed from apple's end. AFAIK, 10.5.4 has already been seeded, and apple has no patch for this in 10.5.4.

13. Amdahl macrumors 65816

The latest 10.5.4 seed does have a fix for this bug.

14. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

good to know, Mozilla can then investigate and remove the workaround in 3.1 then. Thanks for the info