Firefox 3 speed vs. Safari

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by fuelishways, Jun 18, 2008.

1. fuelishways macrumors newbie

So I just downloaded FF3 (I'm still on 10.4...) and I'm not really impressed with the speed enhancement. It is definitely faster than FF2, but I don't really see much of a speed boost over Safari. The people over at FF were touting how it was much faster than Safari and I really don't see it. Does anybody else have the same experience?

2. snakedoctor macrumors member

Its faster for me. I am on a Intel Macbook, with 10.5.3 cleanly installed last month.

Basically it just downloads the pages about twice as fast, no way to actually time it. It just feels noticeably faster.

Other things I really like that Safari lacks, a real sidebar for history/favorites (with out some hack).

Also I can single click on the URL bar/search bar and highlight the text. Much faster when copying a URL and pasting it, or copy and paste into search. Why Safari does not support the single click highlight URL/Search like all other browsers on OS X and Windows do, it simply beyond me. In fact Safari in Windows does! I just want an option, not a forced change for the Apple faithful.

Also sorting bookmarks....Hello Apple, a simple sort feature would be great in Safari for the love of God.

3. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

You can single click to highlight the URL bar! Just click the little fav icon to the left of the URL. (However, the search bar requires a triple-click.)

4. MotleyPete macrumors regular

I find Safari 4 to be noticeably quicker than Firefox 3 on my Mac Pro.

Maybe it's the handful of add-ons that slow FF down, but without using add-ons FF is rather pointless, so I'm sticking with Safari, because speed is more important than customization for me.

5. snakedoctor macrumors member

I can single click on any part or the url bar in FF3, IE, Camino, Opera, Safari for Windows.....etc.

I knew I could click on the little icon on the left, but honesty its easier to click anywhere on the url bar, especially if you have a high resolution 1680x1050 or higher, because that little icon gets smaller.

Like I said just asking for option in Safari Preferences, sort of like about:config in FF. I dont want to force anyone.

6. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

sophisticated test does show fx3 being slightly faster than safari 3.1.1 on js.

but hey, network environment isn't fair, individual usage habit isn't fair, I would be surprised if anybody can claim for sure one is faster than the other.

IMHO, these browsers are all fast enough for us.

7. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Perhaps they did this to keep the URL and search fields the same as any other text field: single-clicking places the insertion point.

And I'm curious. Can I use about:config to change it to not select the entire URL with a single click?

8. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

yes you can, the entry is browser.urlbar.clickSelectsAll, toggle it to false.

9. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Side by side testing on my Macbook shows Firefox to be a tad faster, which is impressive because Safari 3.1 is already pretty damn fast.

I like.

10. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Nice!

11. live4ever macrumors 6502a

Try cmd+L, much faster than using a mouse.

12. pjrobertson macrumors 6502a

Hehe. Clevin, you're working over time on all these FF3 issues ;)

One thing that I had to get used to in the beta builds of FF3 was the inability to click the favicon to select all the text in the location bar.

I've now adjusted though. I don't expect you know of a way to change the behaviour?

There's only one thing listed under 'favicons' in about config. It's not related.

13. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

hehe, yes, you will have to get use to it, but, actually, you can double click it to select the entire url. (or triple click, Im not sure, you can try out)

14. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

15. dalvin200 macrumors 68040

Where did you get that from? :D

16. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

I'm on my PC, but I don't think this invalidates my comment.

I was using FireFox 1.5 because I thought it was the best version of FireFox ever. That is, until FireFox 3. It's much uglier, I still like the 1.5 theme better, but dang is it fast! Safari is absolute crap on the PC (Ironically, I love the way it looks on the PC, but its functionality is crap.) I have yet to try it out on my iBook, but I expect the results to be the same. :)

17. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

there are some old fashion themes you can try out at addons.mozilla.org

18. GuillaumeB macrumors 6502

GuillaumeB

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

Safari 4 kicks ass!! Definitly lighter and faster to me

19. MM07 macrumors 6502a

I agree that it is much faster than FF2, but I noticed that my RAM usage has almost doubled since I installed it.

In my activity monitor, it uses between 15 and 22% of my CPU.

Is this the norm?

20. kabunaru Guest

At least Safari 3 is good in Mac OS X. :)